Gaming Desktop Replacement Under $2000

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Outtawack311, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Outtawack311

Outtawack311 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    I can go as high as $2k, but would prefer to stay under $1800 if possible

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    I prefer 17", but can do a 15.6" if it's that much better
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Florida

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:Apple. My current asus laptop had gray screen issues to start and loud screaching sound periodically. I would prefer to stay away from brands that typically have issues
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    - As long as there is a warranty, it's worth it, and the company i get it from is reputatble.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    - Gaming and daily browsing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    - Probably not, but i have a good case for it if I need to.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    - MOBAs, Fighting games, RPGs, action. really depends on the day

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    - Meh, doesn't matter too much

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    - Online is fine as long as there is good customer support

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    - Windows 7/10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    - 1920x1080
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    - I don't think it matters too much

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    - Not really
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    - My network adapter is having current issues..so possibly very soon
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    - as long as possible. My asus, even with it's issues is on year 6.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    - What ever gets me best performance for the money. I have only used 150 gb of a 500gb hd in 6 years.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    -Nope

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    skman likes this.
  3. Outtawack311

Reputations:
    I am mainly looking at Clevo and MSI right now since they seem the most popular here. What are the main differences in the brands and the best places to get them?

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Best places to get them are HIDevolution, LPC Digital, GenTech PC, Pro Star Computers. Although if you're getting a Clevo, you definitely want to stick with HIDevolution as they are a Prema Partner and you'd get the Prema BIOS with them. I'd never wanna ever use a Clevo laptop without the Prema BIOS. Also for Clevo's HIDevolution delids the CPUs in case you went for a desktop class version of those laptops and that's a must since the desktop class CPUs get really hot so delidding them brings the temps down by as much as 10-20C

Benefits of Prema BIOS:

• Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU
    • Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
    • Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio
    • Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states
    • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
    • Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality
    • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
    • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
    • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
    • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
    • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
    • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
    • Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration
    Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates

5. Outtawack311

Reputations:
    Sounds good. What would you say the benefits of MSI are? I am really stuck between those two and don't see a major deciding factor. They both run around the same price (Clevo seems slightly less expensive for the same build, but so little it's a non-factor) and they both seem to be the preferred gaming laptop brands currently. Is it just a look preference?

6. Outtawack311

Reputations:
    When I am customizing a Clevo from Hidevolution I am seeing something funny. Below is an option..it says if you do not select an m.2 ssd above, but there was no other ssd bay to pick a m.2 ssd. I feel like an option is missing and i am not sure if the laptop comes with the drive or if I can add it in.

2.5" HDD/SSD Bay *

The Drive in this Bay will act as your file cabinet for storing your data files, videos and pictures. If you do not select an M.2 Solid State Drive above, your Operating System will be installed here.

• 1TB 7200 RPM 9.5mm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Driv

7. sumrix

sumrix Newbie

Reputations:
    The main preference of MSI is the best cooling system and keyboard, Clevo is cheaper.

If you plan to use an external monitor with a higher resolution, then GTX1080 is the best video card.
    There are some laptops for you with GTX1080 and $2000:

CPU | RAM | SSD | HDD | Model
    -------------------------------------------------
    7700HQ | 16 GB | 256 GB | 1 TB | ASUS GL702VI
    7700HQ | 16 GB | 256 GB | 1 TB |
    Acer Predator 17
    7820HK | 16 GB | 256 GB | 1 TB | HP OMEN X 17

If you want cheaper options, look what I found yesterday:
    17 inch gaming laptops with GTX 1070 under 1700$

8. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Check these:
    -msi gt72vr 7re
    -clevo p775tm

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    You have to click on one of the RAID options for the M.2 SSDs to be shown. If you want No-RAID, click on that option, even though it is default.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  10. freerice

freerice Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think clevo it would be.