Gamers are getting rid of their Radeon cards due to driver issues

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Felix_Argyle, Feb 15, 2020.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    NVENC is an NVIDIA hardware encoder, of course AMD doesn't have them. NVIDIA artificially limits the number of encoding streams on anything that isn't a Quadro to two streams. This means if I have 3 users watching plex movies my 2070 isn't allowed to transcode the third stream. All of that really means my RX580 was faster as my RTX2070 because it could also easily do more than two streams (with AMD's hardware encoders). No the RX580 isn't faster, but the RTX2070 is being limited by NVIDIA's drivers. There are ways around this limit, which involve modifying drivers, I do it (along with the bloat ware), but NVIDIA's drivers are far from perfects.

*on edit*
    Also saying user's experiences are "absolutely irrelevant" is a total sham. Your article says AMD owners are selling their AMD GPUs in droves. That obviously doesn't apply to users who are happy. Individual experiences with companies are always valuable to that individual. This is why I'm hesitant to purchase an MSI laptop, because as a tech I had such terrible experience with their RMA process, even thought here are many users that obviously love their MSI laptop. You can't say user experiences aren't important when you're trying to convince us that AMD gamers are dumping their cards because they are unhappy (obviously not the case so far in this thread).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    This is intended. Not drivers that don’t work as intended. Quadro is Nvidia’s more expensive cards.

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes it's intended, as is the bloatware crap, that doesn't mean it's good. Dell laptops are intended to run at 100C and yet you seem to like to point this out as a manufacturing defect... :)

Papusan likes this.
  4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I wonder if the same driver problems exist on the MacOS side of the world.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not that I'm aware of. You can pretty much pop any AMD GPU into the new Mac Pro or a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure and it will work. I'm guessing Apple has some oversight into this since the drivers are tightly integrated with the OS.