Gamedev student looking for laptop needs help

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Revenaant, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revenaant

Revenaant Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, first post!

I'm a game development student abroad in the Netherlands, going into 3rd year.
    I've recently come into the chance of upgrading from my Lenovo y700 GTX 960m, i7-6700HQ and 8gb Ram into something better and probably selling this one.
    The reasons are that this y700 is struggling some with gaming on newer titles and working on heavier scenes in Unity, they get my pc pretty hot and I fight with lag and/or frame drops.

I've been doing my research and I believe that what I would like goes along the lines of an i7, GTX 1060 and 8-16GB Ram. A decent keyboard with back-light is desirable for those sessions of programming at night. I'm also aware that the display on the Y700 is somewhat potato, something better would be nice but not crucial to me.

I also recently discovered that custom built laptops are a thing that exists, like Clevos, and thanks to this great forum learned of the amazingness of Obsidian and HIDevolution. In fact I had a phone call with Donald from HIDevolution yesterday and he gave me advice with building a laptop on their site, however the shipping to Europe does turn me off price wise. Actually similar configuration from both sellers end up being about $200+ higher than my budget limit by my calculations.
    I could get a laptop from Amazon or somewhere else but the reputation for support and quality of both those guys precedes them and is quite tempting.

So I wanted to ask for your advice and suggestions if you're so kind to give them :)

1) What is your budget?
    $1200-1500 USD (1000-1300 euro)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    The Netherlands, Europe

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    This for me is based on what I've hear about build quality.
    a. Like: Lenovo (the Y700 I have feels good and is sturdy) , have read great stuff about Obsidian and HIDevolution.
    b. Dislike: Acer, HP
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Sure.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Game development (Visual Studio, Unity/Unreal, Maya, Photoshop, Audition, in that order). And Gaming of course.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both, I walk between University and home daily. Weight is not really an issue.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    The Witcher 3, Monster Hunter World, Fallout 4, Overwatch, Stellaris and such. So mainly AAA.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I'm happy with 2+ hours, laptop will be plugged most of the time (even in University, they have plugs everywhere).

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'm buying it on-line.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Standard High res is fine.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Don't mind.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes, but I don't need the sleekest thinnest proffesionalest looking laptop either. I like the looks of the Lenovo Y700 for example, it's not over the top. But build quality is more important.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I'm fine with anything, I have a 1TB hard drive and a 256GB m.2 SSD that I wanted to swap into the new laptop, So as long as it has a slot for those 2 or if it comes with similar storage already it's great.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    In the coming months, but I could wait until around December.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    At least 2-3 years but Ideally it lasts longer.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I use my laptop daily so.. Can't really afford it, that's why quality is so important.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    If needed be then I'd send it for repairs, but it is more likely that I try to do the repairs myself unless it's something major. I tend to take care of my electronics though and have never had hardware failures unless it's from age. But some warranty would be nice just in case.

Thanks so much in advance!

2. Raphandryu

Raphandryu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Greetings!
    Since you are a game developer, i7-8750H is best for you. Don't go for 7th gen as 8th gen CPUs have 6 cores which really are better for your work. With that budget, there are very limited options for GTX 1060 and out of all the brands, these are the laptops you can get -
    • MSI GP63 Leopard 8RE

• Dell G5 15

• Acer Predator Helios 300

• HP Omen 15

I don't know why you dislike HP and Acer but it's completely your decision.
    I don't know much about Netherlands and availability of these laptops there. But i guess these laptops are going to be in the price range.
    I'm not sure about Asus as it is going to be a little higher in price with a gtx 1060.
    Few important things about these laptops -
    • Performance - HP > MSI > Acer > Dell
    • Screen - Hp > Acer > MSI > Dell
    • Cooling - MSI > Acer > Dell > HP
    My personal opinion - 1st MSI, 2nd Acer, 3rd HP, 4th Dell

Revenaant likes this.
  3. Revenaant

Revenaant Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yeah I also think the MSI is the best one out of the bunch there, It is also the one @Donald@HIDevolution ended up recommending me, except from their website and with some of the special services they offer.

I had also considered the new Dell G7 lineup but that has not come out in Europe yet with no ETA sadly.
    The reason I listed HP and Acer in the dislikes was out of various people complaining about the brands and their build quality from a bunch of places in the Internet I looked into. And for the Acer predator, the looks are a little too much over the top for me, the high profile grill at the back really doesn't look great, but that's just personal preference.

Would there be any significant difference if I were to buy a laptop around November-December instead of now?

4. Raphandryu

Reputations:
    I guess so. Since nvidia is introducing new gpu next week (or so), therefore we can expect a price drop in older GPU models like 1060. Also, max-q is taking over the budget gaming market. Maybe in like 2-3 months, some more new laptops will be introduced in Europe.

P.S. - Dell G7 have a garbage screen, no offence.

Revenaant likes this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Desktop GPU’s will release shortly, but laptop GPU’s won't release until early 2019 so go ahead with Donald's recommendation.

Revenaant likes this.
  6. Raphandryu

Reputations:
    I thought laptop GPUs were to launch by the end of Q4 2018.

Revenaant likes this.
  7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah good luck with that. Let's see if any laptops actually ship with next gen GPU’s before 2019. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  8. Revenaant

Revenaant Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmm, I guess there's not much point in waiting then, unless maybe for black Friday/cyber Monday...? I'm not even sure if HIDevolution does anything for those dates. Otherwise I'll just save up what I needed to buy that MSI one.

9. Raphandryu

Reputations:
    Waiting up to buy is more like - gambling. If you wait, maybe a new or tweaked model come up or maybe not or sometimes when you're too unlucky like me, the model you waited for, gets out of stock for weeks :(

Revenaant likes this.
  10. africanleopard

africanleopard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have learned over the years that the minute you buy you are already behind in technology, no matter if it’s a laptop or a desktop.

Does the Netherlands do Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Sometimes there are really good deals, but usually the cutting edge is not included or very few available ( it’s there to drive the hype).

In my humble opinion if you need it now, buy it now.

Revenaant and Raphandryu like this.