Game Dev Laptop [Aus]

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Shadoo, Jul 6, 2018.

1. p0och

p0och Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    actually u're better off finding for a used e570p - the e480 is a total disaster with unending issues. and screenwise is below 60% coverage of rgb

2. Shadoo

Shadoo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We do have pretty good consumer laws in Australia, it's just a matter of twisting the arm of whoever I'm talking to. That said some people can still be very stubborn, even if they're legally in the wrong. (I've experienced this with retail and even Apple before) If I can find that model in a store I might try it out to get a feel for it physically. It'd be nice to just have something that's ready to go out of the box but to get something ideal I get extra work has to be put in. I've never messed with BIOS stuff before though.

While I'm not averse to refurbished models, or something in a clearance listing, I am opposed to going on the used market. There's no knowing what the device has gone through and how worn the battery could be. If any shops have them in clearance then that'll be a good stroke of luck but otherwise it seems I was just a bit too slow to pick up that choice, which is a shame as a thinkpad with those specs would've been nice. (I see some current options have quadro graphics but I've never used a machine with those and I feel they're more suited to a different kind of working environment that I'd be in)

On Asus, I've not heard the best things about their support. That said, people are more likely to go online to complain about things that go wrong, and not to laud everything that goes right. So any "good" stories are probably not published. IDK what consumer laws are like in other parts of the world but same deal with the other consideration:
    If something does go wrong, I've got the law on my side and they'd legally have to oblige. I've not had experience with Lenovo support though, and 9 times out of 10 Apple probably break Aus consumer law and screw users over anyway. (also, $800 to fix a trackpad and keyboard, what a joke) But people always refer to these companies (Tier 1s?) as having good support so I figure it's something to consider when aiming for a reliable product.

I've still got a couple of months until I'll have the money for this so maybe something that just works right for me will come out then. I suppose a lot of manufactures are still in the process of developing all their 8th gen models so maybe it's an awkward time of year. I might ask people in the XPS 9570 lounge a few questions specific to their laptop as overall that seems like the best option within budget (well, + an 8gb ram stick and an intel wifi card replacement) and the option that pleases the battery and screen concerns more so than the Asus.

I'm still open to hear other suggestions though.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am going by personal experience, NOT online reviews etc. I purchased 3 vivotab RT LTE tablets with keyboards brand new. All of them developed the ghost touch syndrome which rendered them useless. This happend on all three within the warranty period. The LCS that I bought them from said I had to contact Asus directly. I called asus, they said they would not do anything for me. Multiple emails, calls, complaining online etc never did ANYTHING. SO I have 3 very expensive door stops right now. So you can see why I am against using and recommending asus.

4. Shadoo

Reputations:
    Woah I heard they were bad but that's beyond awful.

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep. Hence the reason I am steering you gently towards something else.

6. XeonPlanner

XeonPlanner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Five most prominent brand is Asus, Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer. You said no Asus, so I'll recommend other 4 brands.
    A Dell G3 with core i7 and 1050ti may fit your needs. But the Dell G series have bad screens. They can be upgraded after market to a 100% SRGB panel though. (but may cause warrenty concerns)
    Lenovo Y530/Y7000 will come to Australia (probably) next month and may be a good choice. They can be configured to a better screen and same specs (i7-8750H+1050ti), but I don't know about the pricing. They are already available in China for 8499 RMB or about 1700 AUD. Australian prices is usually around 5%-10% lower than Chinese prices.
    Or HP Omen 4th gen may be a nice option, and it has a high gamut 144hz panel. Good for gaming and looks much smoother. But it looks very "gamey" and have poor battery life.
    A 8th gen VN7 from Acer may be a good option, but Acer is apparently waiting for GTX 1160, which will not come till the end of the year.

7. Shadoo

Reputations:
    Mhm the Dell G series have some nice options bar the screen. It's a shame they cheap out on the panels really. Or at least don't offer a high gamut option outside of getting 4k. DIY screen replacements seem to be common though so finding cases of other users doing it isn't difficult. I'm not sure how it'd affect warranty, yeah. Also if the screen is bought outside Australia, if it were to have any dead pixels within the first few years of use, I'd be screwed. (no local consumer laws) I've only looked on ebay but will have to see if there are any domestic outlets for laptop panels.

Interesting about the Lenovo with the screen configuration. I'll watch that. I haven't looked into 11xx much but will keep that in mind. Thanks!

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bob, over in the dell area modded a G3, It was a nice rig before. After, it was a super nice rig with the upgrades.