Game Booster - does it work ?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by orngcrsh85, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. @nthony

@nthony Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's like asking if an RPM-limiter "works". Do you know how to shift gears properly? Or do you drive around in first gear while doing 60 clicks?

2. motherpuncher22

motherpuncher22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    with that much ram I don't think it will make any difference, It only made a very small difference for me bc I always have a ton of stuff running and I game on an external monitor, it just makes it easy to shut everything down with the push of one button, but you won't notice any difference w 6GB ram

3. Kocayine

Kocayine Formerly 'myDooM'

Reputations:
    Doesnt it just disable some services while enabled, lol?

4. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    If you're the kind of person who has everything set to "start when Windows starts" when you install software, and leaves all your manufacturer's bloatware installed and running, then it might make a difference. I take good care of my Windows installations, though; I remove bloatware and I never start anything on startup except RivaTuner and Steam, and I've followed some Windows tweak guides to disable services and stuff that I don't use, so GameBooster would probably do nothing for me.

5. Necromas

Necromas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ya, game booster isn't really the right way to address the problem if your RAM being clogged with bloaty background programs. And if you don't have that problem, there's no point in using it. If you do have said problems...

- Clean up your startup entries. In windows just run msconfig and go to the startup tab, then uncheck everything you don't need running all the time. If you don't know what an item on the list is, google it and find out.

- Use ctrl+shift+escape and look for processes that you don't need to be running. Often a program you think has been closed completely will still have some process running in the background. Again, if you can't figure out what something is, google it and find out. If you find any processes that could be addware/malware/spyware/bloatware use google to find out how to properly uninstall them.

- Buy more RAM if you have to. Really, it's cheap. I hate to keep referring people to google but you'll have to look up how to do it for your specific laptop and what kind of RAM you can put in it.

6. orngcrsh85

orngcrsh85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Necromas it sounds pretty simple...lol

I have Sony Vaio Fw51MF, so I have loads of Sony stuff installed.. But I think it makes 1-3 fps difference in gaming, am I right? I use defragmentation once a week, so this issue doesn't affect gaming performance too..

I'm afraid the only way to increase fps in games is OVERCLOCKING my downclocked Mobility Radeon 4650....:(

I heard people increased 3dmark06 result from 5800 to 7300... but still I'm afraid I'll spoil something (OS or laptop itself...).. any suggestions?

7. thinkpad knows best

thinkpad knows best Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmmm... an RPM limiter isn't usually intended to increase performance, timing gears yes... RPM limiter is more for tranny damage control for idiots that don't know how to properly engage and disengage a clutch. Just listen to the damn engine, that's how you shift.

8. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    Or buy an automatic. :p

9. @nthony

@nthony Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    that's what I'm saying. Game Booster is for idiots who don't know how to use their system properly.

10. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    I wouldn't go so far as to say "idiots". It's great for people who don't have the know-how (or the motivation) to take the time to optimize Windows on their own. It's a sort of "easy-mode" button. It's not completely as effective as doing a good job of it yourself, but that's not the audience they're trying to market it to.