Galaxy Note 8

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Mitlov, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Primes

Primes Chrome OS Wizard

Reputations:
    Early LG V30 reviews shows it's gonna kill the S8 ^_^

hmscott likes this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    It looks very good, but on the other hand, concerns about boot-looping (from tech enthusiasts) and lack of name recognition (from the mass market) are going to make it hard for LG to unseat the Galaxy S8 in terms of sales numbers.

Primes likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    With the recent history of Samsung taken into account, it's a good time for LG to make an effort to push their brand into higher volume sales.

Primes likes this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Don't get me wrong. I want the V30 to be a huge sales success. I just don't think it actually will be.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Watch this video till the end guys, very honest review... you probably won't even think about buying the Note 8 after seeing this:

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    As a Note fan there isn't really anything he said that would sway me away from the Note to the S8+.

Going from an S7 Edge I wouldn't upgrade to the S8+, but I would upgrade to the Note 8.

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 has broken presale records despite last year's disaster
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/8/16277652/samsung-galaxy-note-8-presale-record

"The Note brand is still going strong despite Samsung recalling and discontinuing Note 7 devices last year for battery explosions. The company announced that more customers in the US have preordered the Note 8 than any other Notes it has ever sold in previous years during the same time period.

At a conference in Korea where Samsung announced the Note 8’s release in its home country, Samsung’s mobile chief DJ Koh said it received 650,000 preorders within five days across the 40 countries it first launched in — 2.5 times faster than the Note 7. Samsung has not publicly announced the number for US-only presales."

"Note 8 preorders went live in the US on August 24th and the device is one of Samsung’s most expensive smartphones to date, starting at $930. It’s unapologetically pricey, though Samsung did attempt to offset that price tag with some presale offers.

Preorders before September 24th are eligible for a choice of a Gear 360 camera or a wireless charging bundle, and Note 7 owners were offered a steep discount if they traded in their current device for the Note 8. Carriers like T-Mobile have also offered their own deals, enticing customers to sign up for a new line and to get a full rebate on a second Note 8.

Judging by how popular Note 7s were last year before everything went down, it seems that little has deterred Note fans from upgrading — not even the price tag. Samsung also did not comment on how Note 8 preorders compared to its Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus launches from earlier this year.

Update September 12th 9:40AM ET: This article has been updated with exact preorder number publicly shared by Samsung."

Vasudev likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Galaxy Note 8: The S-Pen Reigns Supreme

Vasudev likes this.
  9. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Don't buy the U (US Snapdragon version) then. Just buy the SM-N950F. Fully able to root/TWRP/ROM.

Absolutely. I ordered the South Korean 6GB/256GB version. All that UFS 2.1 goodness.

In audio, yes. Display? Not a chance. Depends on which you're going for. The V30 is a massive step up for LG, but it's not on the same quality level as the newer Samsung devices. Personally, the only way I'll ever touch another LG device is if I purchase it THROUGH Google as a Pixel phone with Google support. Having to threaten a company with legal action to get them to replace a V10 and 2 G4's is not something I will be doing again, because they can't own their problems. I would have a completely different view of LG had they just owned up to the fact that their devices were defective and just replaced them.

I see quite a few people comparing the Note 8 to other phones. The Note line has no comparison. If you're considering a Note 8, there's a reason... the S-Pen. There's literally nothing else like it in the mobile industry.

Thats exactly what I'm doing. S7 Edge --> Note 8.

Sid Roy and hmscott like this.