Galaxy Note 8

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Mitlov, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Too big for me, the Galaxy S8 is the largest size for a phone that I'd like to own.

hmscott likes this.
  2. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had a Note 7, went back to using my Note 5. I am entirely too attached to my pen to use anything else.

I preordered the Note 8 using the $425 trade-in. Picked up an iPhone 5 on Craigslist for $75 I will send in because I want to keep the Note 5 just in case. Ebates is also running another promotion that took another $90 off the price. I'll probably sell the freebies after receiving them too.

All in all, I'm super excited. Paying a lot less for this new phone than I expected to.

kojack and hmscott like this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good deal alaskajoel. I hope to get a fair trade in for my iPhone 6s when the new ip8 comes out too. Telus gives a fair deal and you don't to mess around trying to sell it then. Just trade it in and go!

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Have you actally confirmed that you'll get the $425 credit for an iPhone 5? My email said "up to $425," so I figured you'd only get the full $425 if you were trading in an S7 or iPhone 7 that had been purchased new when the Note 7 was recalled.

hmscott likes this.
  6. alaskajoel

Reputations:
    I asked customer service that specific question before ordering. They said any of those devices will earn the full $425. When checking out they gave the $425 discount and I just had to select the category of phone I would be sending back (in my case it was the list of iPhones)

I'm still super skeptical, but their order terms say they will make a second credit card charge if the device doesn't meet their trade-in criteria. If they try to pull the "up to $425" line after receiving my old iPhone, you better believe I will charge it back with my credit card and submit the customer service interaction as evidence.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Well if you pull it off, more power to you, but you're definitely gaming the system by getting $425 for a phone you paid $75 for. It's a real windfall to you compared to your typical Note 7 owner (like me) who replaced it with an S7 Edge or iPhone 7 and is getting a $425 trade-in for a phone that originally cost $750.

I wonder why they say "up to $425" if literally every eligible phone will be worth exactly $425. If it's as simple as you say, why include the "up to" language at all?

hmscott likes this.
  8. alaskajoel

Reputations:
    Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you that it doesn't make a lot of sense.The up to language is really ambiguous in some of their own materials.

There is a big thread on XDA about this too. I didn't just happen to get a crazy CS rep...lots of people are hearing the same thing right from Samsung representatives The "up to $425" is only regarding condition, not the device from what many of us have been told.

Like I said, I'm going with it and have evidence to back it up. There will be dozens of upset people if Samsung tries to back pedal and I trust my AMEX to back me up if it comes to that.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

9. Sid Roy

Sid Roy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is Galaxy Note 8 really worth to purchase?

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    If the stylus is a killer feature for you, yes.

If not, then no. The Galaxy S8+ has nearly identical specs, a bigger battery, and has a street price $200-$300 less.

hmscott likes this.