Galaxy Note 7

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Spartan, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I totally called it that they were all defective. Good on Samsung for doing the right thing.

Wow, that's messed up about the UAE. What are you going to do @Phoenix?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    On the other hand, reports from US carriers are that replacements will be available within a couple weeks. If that's the case, it sounds like there was just a bad initial batch in certain markets. How else could they get so many replacements so quickly?

hmscott likes this.
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I thought about it and I'm going to hold out for a replacement Note instead of swapping for an S7 Edge. The 64gb onboard storage is way better, the ergonomics are amazingly better than the sharp-edged S7 Edge, and I think USB Type C is the future.

In the interim, I've disabled quick-charge and won't charge while I sleep, but statistically speaking I should be fine. And it sounds like replacements will be here in weeks, not months. Compared to, say, the Remington R51 recall debacle, that's the blink of an eye.

hmscott likes this.
  4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I'm not too concerned. But if they offer me a replacement I'll likely take it. I don't use rapid charge, but may in the future if needed. It's probably a limited batch, but Samsung is making good by replacing all of them. Good on them. So far I love this phone.

hmscott and Mitlov like this.
  5. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You guys do realize that 35 battery explosion in less than a month on a device that uses less than 2 amps most of the time is nothing to scoff at when you look at the number of incidents involving exploding vaporizers that draw 15, 30, sometimes even 60 amps from a single, double, or triple battery configurations number less than 100 over 5 years right? Especially considering at least half of those explosions were due to fault of the consumer or the brick and mortar that sold incompatible parts? This is pretty serious. Samsung has released a device that costs mad cash that has batteries that explode while devices that cost as little as 30 bucks with a 3300mAh LiPo battery that is built to push 20A on a consistent basis have protections that cut power to the battery or blow an internal fuse to prevent them from blowing up. There is absolutely no excuse for a premium device that has a premium price to not have the protection it should. Hell they could have used LiMn chemistry instead and the explosion thing wouldn't even be an issue at all. They're getting off way too easy.

hmscott likes this.
  6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    There's been nothing substantiated how these batteries are blowing up. It could simply be a matter of awful third party chargers that simply overheat the battery. Granted there should be a failsafe in the phone itself to prevent this, but I have not seen a single report in the USA yet.

hmscott and Mitlov like this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Can you talk about vaping some more, Ethrem? We haven't talked about your vaping enough yet ;)

And like Wingnut, I suspect disabling quick charging dramatically reduces risk until replacements arrive.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Makes you wonder if the bad batch is actually just in Korea and the US recall is more about alleviating concern in the most nervous and litigious county on the planet.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    *face palm* the circuitry needed to prevent catastrophic failure of the battery is cheap, that's my point. Not to mention there is safer chemistry for batteries.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    Samsung always sources components from more than one manufacture (the other supplier most likey is ramping up battery production now), for example the camera`s, one brand might be great in a review, but the other brand not as good.

John.

Ethrem and hmscott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.