Galaxy Note 7

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Spartan, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    850 bucks for an easier to break screen and IP68 rating and still 4GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 820 is a big no.

Spartan and bloodhawk like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's too bad they didn't wait it out just a little longer and upgrade the CPU/GPU.

The larger screen, 64GB, and stylus would be nice, but with the same CPU/GPU and same battery (did they mention if it's larger capacity?), seems like a modest upgrade worth the $100.

Next year, $1k flagship phones :eek::D

Spartan likes this.
  4. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its 3500mAh battery. Still though, 64GB of storage is meh when you can add a micro SD, the OnePlus 3 has 6GB of RAM so there's no excuse for the Note having 4GB still, and the screen size is nice but the edge display irks me. Its basically an S7 Edge with an S-Pen. No thanks.

Convel, Spartan and bloodhawk like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    The Edge display and actions can be disabled, I ran it that way when I first got the S7 Edge.

Odd that the Note 7's battery is 100mah smaller than the S7 Edge, 3500mah vs 3600mah.

This article has a nice table for specification comparisons:

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 specs vs. S7 Edge, Moto Z, iPhone 6S Plus and OnePlus 3
    http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-7-specs-vs-s7-moto-z-iphone-oneplus-3/

Spartan and Ethrem like this.
  6. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't like the edge display because it adds an additional amount of fragility. I probably would use some of the edge features like the colors for when certain people call or whatever but the phones are already thin and easy to drop and the edge just makes it harder to find a case that protects the phones while still allowing you to actually use the damn thing.

Spartan and bloodhawk like this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Samsung doesn't sell it any longer, at least it's not on their site, but I got a slim case that uses NFC to send messages to the cover to display Time / Call / Email / Messages / CallerID, and flipping open/closed turns on/off the phone display.

That case also has plastic rails around the exposed edge to protect the glass, and I can hold the case in hand using those clear plastic rails and not "engage" the edge selection accidentally.

A wider display, flat, with pop out "edge" menu's might be more ergonomic, but I have gotten used to the Edge's :)

Ethrem likes this.
  8. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It just seems pointless to put the edge display on a device aimed at professionals. I guess we will see how well it sells. I'm probably going to keep my HTC 10 unless the Nexus interests me. If the Nexus interests me I'm going to trade my phone in at T-Mobile for their cheapest, pay it off in full, them remove Jump from my account and buy the Nexus and save 43 bucks a month on my bill. It's kind of getting to the point where I don't want the latest and greatest anymore, I just want something that does what I need it to, not something that does it 5% faster than it used to.

Spartan and hmscott like this.
  9. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    hmscott, bloodhawk and Ethrem like this.
  10. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No root, no sale. I'm not spending 850 on a device with an encrypted bootloader (confirmed for T-Mobile).

Spartan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.