Galaxy Book Flex or Galaxy Book Ion (assuming both 16GB RAM)? Includes poll

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by njweb, May 22, 2020.

?

Galaxy Book Flex or Galaxy Book Ion? (assuming both have 16GB RAM)

1. FLEX - Galaxy Book Flex 15.6" 16GB RAM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ION - Galaxy Book Ion 15.6" 16 GB RAM

100.0%
  1. njweb

njweb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. right, that is the video I had seen and was alluding to in one of my threads / posts.
    The only graphics option in the US on the Ion is Intel UHD; also, based on Samsung user manuals, the Ion does not seem to support UBS-C PD to power (not just charge) the laptop. I am using the ultra compact power adapter (ZMI zPower Turbo 65W USB-C PD Wall Charger) on my Flex and it works great. I did order a 6.6 foot USB-C to USB-C 5A 100W charging cable this weekend (could not find an 8 foot one anywhere and 10 foot long cables are often apparently unreliable for PD) since the outlet in the kitchen is too far away for the included cable (4.92 ft) to not create a tripping hazard.

I ordered an Ion the other day (and also an extra 16GB RAM stick and an extra 512GB SSD) but I may let my pick up simply expire (not charged till store pick up): Not sure the keyboard travel will be that much better on the Ion to sway me and lack of better graphics and USB-C PD on the Ion are the other factors.
    Keyboard (possibly better), lighter weight and upgrade-ability of RAM and SSD on the Ion are the factors making it so tough to make a final decision...

2. njweb

Reputations:
    Sounds quality is good / decent; the issue is that it is weak in terms of max output level, especially, compared to my HP Elitebook 1050 G1. Boom 3D ($12 special right now) helps a little bit (thanks to Steve for the idea), but the output level still not close to the amazingly powerful B&O audio setup on the HP...

3. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's a difficult choice:)

I'll be back in Seoul for 3 days and will need to go to Yongsan Market to try and pick one up. I am however still concerned about the audio as I don't wear headphones unless I am freelancing in an office.

4. njweb

Reputations:
    Decided to stick with my 16GB + nVidia Korean Flex (over the Ion) for several reasons (cited previously).

Thanks for your thoughts Worzyl.
    Good luck finding what you're looking for in Seoul. Safe travels

Now I just need to sell my Elitebook 1050 G1...