G74SX in-circuit reprogram of BIOS SPI

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Sir Robin, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C4RN1

C4RN1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    Actually i bought from Aliexpress.com and/or Alibaba.com.
    You can do some bargain with the sellers too =)

@ my previous post
    looks like the last mobo has issues with charging the battery :S

but if i would still have the bad one, and wouldnt sell it so fast i could still charge it in that mobo XD

3. blossom202004

blossom202004 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    Does anybody have the reconstructed BIOS file of G74SX or G53Jw or U30Jc in order to program my BIOS chip? I've bricked my laptop. I need a complete 4-MB-size BIOS file. Not the 2 MB one on ASUS site. If anyone is into BIOS chips, please back it up and send it to me or create it.
    It's urgent and necessary.
    My laptop is ASUS U30Jc, however the other mentioned model file is also of great help to me.
    My E-mail: blossom202004@yahoo.com
    Thanks a lot. I'd appreciate it.

4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    Please, avoid crossposting and bumping threads before 24 hours. One post is enough to being attention to your problem. Given the nature of your issue, it might take time before someone can send you the file.

5. GiGaLeOnZa

GiGaLeOnZa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I need to ask a question to those of you who have dissected the G74Sx bios code. Right now, I have that laptop and well, I applied a modded bios that unlocked the bit 15 of MSR at 0xE2 which would allow my laptop to run OS X Mountain Lion without having to patch the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext file every update. Also allows native speedstep up to 3.1gzh, prior I would only have 800Mhz or 2.2Gzh. A bit of info on my scenario which will be helpful...

Any who, like a dummy I always have a BIOS password, I just liked having one because my roommates would try and use my computer and well, they aren't technically inclined enough to bypass it. I have had this modded BIOS for a few months no problem, until I "reset to default settings" because I turned a setting on by mistake and was having BSODs. After resetting to default, the computer exited the BIOS and I was greeted with a blank password box... it didn't say "enter password" like normal, it was that same password box but without any text saying what it was. Sure enough I hit Enter leaving it blank... now things get ugly.

Upon reboot, it asks for the password before you can boot windows OR get into BIOS, so I enter my normal password, says invalid. did it three times, I restarted. Confused, I thought that maybe with that blank prompt from before I set my new password as blank, so I hit enter, NO GO!

I am now locked out of my computer completely. ASUS wants it RMA'd because it is under warranty, but I would rather spend $30 for a Bus Pirate, $12 for the SOIC8 clip, and put the entire 4MB BIOS back onto the chip, erasing my strange password dilemna AND have it done quicker than the ASUS RMA procedure would take (upwards of 2-3 weeks!!) and in the process avoid ASUS' "you forgot your password" claim and to avoid the possibility of them finding that I have modded the BIOS.

MOD EDIT: I know it sucks when you're in this situation, but we do not allow discussion of bypassing security measures under any circumstances.

P.S. Sir Robin, kudos to all that you have provided to this forum. I have read every post you wrote up about the g73 and this thread on the G74. You went into such detail in every post, and I can tell you thoroughly enjoy doing this. I want to have the same fun! Thanks in Advance.

6. GiGaLeOnZa

GiGaLeOnZa Newbie

Reputations:
    I completely understand, that is why I expressed concern about how other forums would have reacted and I am not assuming this forum is any different. This situation I am in regards security and passwords yes, but it is due to the same underlying condition of a broken BIOS which is what others on this thread are discussing. A password prompt for a password I never set is a result of a BIOS flash. It is a problem which is denying use of the computer, as is the bad flash people are getting also denying them use of their machines.

7. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi bud, we understand your intention, and while that may be the case, there is no way for you to prove it, and even if you did it would still break the forum rules which you agreed to when you signed up. So we have to delete part of your post. Sorry.

This site isn't the place to discuss what you are posting about. If you want to get into BIOS hacking discussions that border on security features you have a few good options, try rebels haven, BIOS-mods, MDL, or Wim's.

8. rachcampitos

rachcampitos Newbie

Reputations:
    Im sending you the file!

9. blossom202004

blossom202004 Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Bobhund

Bobhund Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

With some inspiration from Sir Robins posts, I managed to unbrick a N73Jn.
    I also had the bios file on a ntfs stick when I used Easy Flash.

I used spipgm2 via a printer port from another computer and a Ponoma clip on the dead bios

Schema for the cable -> RayeR's homepage/Programátor SPI FlashROM na paralelní port

I didn't use any ground cable between pin 18 on printer port and pin 4 on bios chip. And instead of 150Ohms resistors I used 220Ohm.
    Used 2 1,5v AA batteries, connected to pin 4 (-) and pin 8 (+), to power the chip. Using the power adapter as Sir Robin did, didn't work for me.

Booted the computer with the printer port on a usb-stick that was prepared with that HP utility to make it bootable.
    Description on how to do that - > How To Make usb Thumb Drive Bootable - Computer Forums

On the usb-stick I also had spipgm2.exe and cwsdpmi.exe.

steps: (a bit simplified)

cwsdpmi
    spipgm2 /i (to check if spipgm2 could identify my chip)
    spipgm2 /d oldbios.rom
    spipgm2 /d oldbios2.rom (took two dumps, they should be identical or the reading is not stable.)

Reboot into windows and used a hexeditor to compare the two files, oldbios and oldbios2, they where identical.
    Cut the first 2MB from oldbios.rom into a new file. (offset was exactly at the middle of the dumped rom file)
    Added bios file I've downloaded from asus before, 2MB size, to that new file and saved it as newbios.rom

Reboot on the usb-stick.

cwsdpmi
    spipgm2 /u (unlocks bios so it can be written)
    spipgm2 /e (erase)
    spipgm2 /s newbios.rom ( /s as in slow programing, /p didn't work for me.)
    spipgm2 /d control.rom ( to compare with newbios.rom, should be identical.)

Rebooted into windows and compared newbios.rom with control.rom with the hexeditor and found them to be identical.

Removed the clip on the laptop and booted it up, And it started again. ;-)