1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

G73SW wireless problems.

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by KnirpsLyn, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnirpsLyn

KnirpsLyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just recieved my G73SW today, and I am having some major wireless issues.

My laptop isn't even acting like it has a wireless card. I don't see the 'wireless bars' typical on a laptop or wireless device, I only see the little monitor with a plug symbol on it like you do on non-wireless devices.

I've clicked on and off and on and off the Fn+F2 settings with F2 and through the taskbar, my little 'LAN tower' light up thing lights up and off when I mess with the F2...

I've checked the devices and drivers and such and the only thing I have seen that may seem off is some random Realtek LAN driver said it didn't have drivers, but I don't know if that is the problem.

I've troubleshooted, looked for a manual switch on the case, and done everything except uninstall stuff.

Should I uninstall the ASUS Wireless Connection 3 thing it came installed with and let Win7 take over or something?

I have a driver disk that came with the packaging, but I don't know if that'll help. I'm tired of pushing buttons that I don't know what they'll do or installing/uninstalling and having issues, so if anyone can give a definite answer that'd be awesome.

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    First thing, check in device manager if your wi-fi card is listed there. Under network adapters. It's probably an atheros ARxxxx wireless adapter. If it isn't listed, open the back panel and re-seat it. If you still don't see it try re-installing the drivers. The wireless console shouldn't cause problems, unless your wi-fi adapter is disabled of course :p.

3. KnirpsLyn

Reputations:
    Okay...Network Adapters...

I see...

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

...that doesn't sound like Atheros... >.>

Also, under 'other devices', and I'm not sure if this matters, but 'network controller' shows up with a yellow triangle exclaimation point sign and under the main device list thing, my laptop shows up as 'needing troubleshooting'.

What does all that mean?

4. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
  5. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
  6. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    Maybe you hit fn-f2 and turned it off by accident.

7. KnirpsLyn

Reputations:
    I don't understand why people even bother trolling in forums like these...

Anyway...

I connected my laptop to the internet with a cable and ASUS automatically updated a lot of stuff while I was searching for the correct drivers for my wireless problem...

I went ahead and used the azurewatch download, which shows up as the atheros driver, but whatever...

All I had done was download that, and ASUS was done with it's updates and told me to reboot, figured I'd mess with drivers after I saw if ASUS fixed it themselves...

No...they did not...

In fact, now my backlit keyboard is broken, my Power4Gear power management options are broken, and I still have no wireless...just bars...yay, bars...

EDIT: Pizza came, had to set the laptop down...

After closing it and then opening it again, not restarting it, the backlit keyboard is suddenly working again.

Also, when I restart the laptop the first thing that pops up on the desktop is 3 or 4 errors that say things like 'You must be on an ASUS to use that' or 'ATK 0100 must be installed'...

8. ALLurGroceries

Reputations:
    Reinstall the atk package.

Don't use asus live update - it's not good.

9. KnirpsLyn

Reputations:
    I'm unsure of where that driver is located at to uninstall it...

Also, I now have 3 network adaptors.

EDIT: The installer also has the uninstaller. I'm good.

10. ALLurGroceries

Reputations: