G73Jh - WHEA-Logger eventid 17

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by azev, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    Nope, not happening to everyone. I had this happen over the summer, and when I posted about it, there was no response.

2. Jagabomb

Jagabomb Newbie

Reputations:
    How did your one stop? Did you find updating to the Beta Vbios (from Gary Key) to help?

3. knowlengr

knowlengr Newbie

Reputations:
    Thought I'd mention (for search engine readers more than Asus users) that I'm also seeing the identical error -- on an HP 8540p i7 laptop with 12GB (in case that matters).

The connection may be that I think this device uses a Pegatron MBO, which is an Asus sister company.

For the uninitiated, this is a bugcheck that would have resulted in a BSOD in the past, but is being caught by Windows 7 before the crash.

An HP support analyst is surmising a driver problem in recovering from sleep mode, though I only allow the monitor to sleep on my computer (it's used for pro audio). While plausible, I am dubious about this diagnosis as there is no minidump to study from the frequent ID 17's thrown to the event log.

Component: PCI Express root port
    Vendor ID: Device ID: 0x8086:0xd138
    Class code: 0x30400

4. <MarkS>

<MarkS> Notebook Village Idiot

Reputations:
    For those getting this error on the PCI Express bus...

Do you have Link State Power Management turned on for the PCI bus? If so, try turning it off (it's in the selected power plan's advanced settings).

5. knowlengr

knowlengr Newbie

Reputations:
    A good tip.

In my case, it was already off.

In reviewing the settings, though, I noticed that USB Selective suspend setting was enabled, which it shouldn't be in my case; one of the numerous USB audio / MIDI drivers might get put to sleep.

Postscript: I made that small change and it didn't seem to help. Threw 7 of these errors in the space of 2 minutes.

6. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    7 errors in 2 minutes is better than the 10k I was getting per second, when it happened to me.

There's a theory going around that it's a problem cooling the northbridge (c2d boards) chipset (core i3/5/7 boards) that creates these problems... but people who experience the error on desktops can easily test their chipset temps and it's not always the case.

Basically, many problems can cause this error - figuring out what is causing it on our g73s may or may not help people on other platforms.

Nope. I had to RMA.

7. azev

azev Newbie

Reputations:
    Just a quick updates, I've re-installed the OS with a fresh copy of Windows 7 x64, and all drivers from the drivers cd. Then I install all windows update.
    I noticed the error dissapear and I dont have the WHEA-Logger filling up my system log anymore.

Skipp a few days later as I was playing an MMO game on the laptop, I had a BSOD, and my main OS drive dissapear from bios.

I've removed both hardrive and plugged them back in, before it would shows up in bios and windows would boot again.

In windows the system log is full and WHEA-Logger is back, so I called asus and arrange an RMA for them to fix it.

8. knowlengr

knowlengr Newbie

Reputations:
    UPDATE
    I reluctantly reinstalled Windows 7 x64 and it made no difference, so HP authorized an RMA on this 8540p (I think same or similar MBO as the Asus).

This Intel community post was relevant, though most there seem to be chasing an AMD graphics card issue (mine is NVidia). The last of four HP techs thought it was possibly an Nvidia 5100M issue.

Will advise when it comes back from repair.

9. winyl

winyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey did someone get this error go away or fixed by Asus support?

From what I read in this blog it is a problem with mobo which ois produced by the same taiwanise manufacturer for asus and hp. Yes people with hp laptos kept getting this error too. Well I can tell you it is not a graphic card issue. I have put mine 5870m in my colleges' G73 and no WHEA event id 17. So definitely a problem with MOBO.
    Another question is if it is worth fixing and will Asus support replace the mobo? Had anyone it's mobo replaced because on Whea eventID 17?
    And if G73jh is throwing 17 like crazy (in tens a minute) does this mean mobo is going to die soon?

10. duftopia

duftopia Newbie

Reputations:
    I Registered (even though I do not have a notebook yet), to say thank you, that answer was very very good - it NEVER dawned on me that the USB would be going to sleep to save power!.

I just set USB Selective suspend off, but this was a embedded checkbox option that was by no means what I thought was causing issues.

Again
    Thank YOU!
    Duftopia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.