G73 i7-720 OC

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by bwerblo2, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwerblo2

bwerblo2 Newbie

Reputations:
    Not seen very much info about it, last i was able to find is it cant be done any way other than the twin turbo mode. Anyone know of a thread that says how to OC the 720?

2. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can use a program called setFSB to change the bus speeds. It is not free, however. Requires a $5 donation.

3. loskings

loskings Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I got the 820QM processor instead of 720 and have tried to acheive some results using SetFsb. In a way the application did what its supposed to, it raised the fsb/processor speed. However the performance in benchmarks and fps dropped just like it does when you enable twin turbo mode (twin turbo mode does the same as Setfsb if i understand it correctly). It pussels me and i havent yet found an answear to why you loose performance when it should be increasing. Perhaps its a cpu design thing, i dont know.....

4. PulsatingQuasar

PulsatingQuasar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Weird that. Sounds like another thing Asus has to find a solution to. A working turbo button.

5. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The performance drop is due to how the multipliers work with intel turbo boost. At stock bclk of 133MHz on the 720qm, the overall clock speed it 13 (12 + 1 due to turbo boost) x 133MHz (1.729GHz)

With twin turbo, the bclk is raised to 142MHz if i remember correctly. Due to the higher fsb clock, turbo boost doesn't kick in so the overall clock speed is 12 x 142 (1.704MHz).

That is when all four cores are used of course.

In order to get an increase in performance, the fsb clock has to be increased enough and heat can become a problem if you overclock too much. Just take a look at the difference in CPU temperature when twin turbo is on.

The bottom line is, you have to use setfsb to gain an increase in CPU speed. I saw a thread somewhere in the asus forums dedicated to OC the i7 on a G73 where it was successfully overclocked.

6. Xellon

Xellon Shinobi of the wind

Reputations:
  7. loskings

loskings Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, thats the one i think he is refering to.

8. WarWyrm001

WarWyrm001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This was discussed in detail in the G73 Benchmark thread

9. HeavenCry

HeavenCry Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You didnt OC it enough to see a performance increase ;).
    You have to OC it more than what turbo boost does, since when youre OCing, the turbo boost doesnt kick in.
    I have overclocked my i7-820qm to 2,2 ghz on all 4 cores, so the performance increase becomes noticable. Havent tried more yet and i dont feel like it since i have no real use in overclocking the CPU.

10. loskings

loskings Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Ah, and since you to have a 820qm, how much did you move the fsb slider in Setfsb? Did you do anything else in Setfsb to make it work or was it just the slider you worked with?