G73 Hannstar vs Auo screen?

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Jaycalgary, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lord_neno

lord_neno Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine has Hannstar HSD173PUW1 [17.3" LCD] (201714374) and I am very happy with it, I did not expect such quality on the screen

2. sean473

sean473 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Mine is the new AUO B173HW01 V0.. its ok.. but i hoped i had the hanstar one.. can anyone compare and confirm if its the same has hanstar one?

3. IM0001

IM0001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Phew. Its an HS display. All good.

4. Jaycalgary

Jaycalgary Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I brought my G73jh back because the store just got the G73jw. Now I have seen both screens. Both have a bit of screen door effect. The AU Optronics B173HW01 V0 is much better than the Hannstar HDS173PUW1. The major difference is the AUO has both better whites and blacks and is a bit brighter. The Hannstar has backlight bleed at the top.
    I think I am going to buy the AUO screen because it is less then $150 delivered. Does anybody know if it can be installed using the inverter that is in the laptop? Hope so. Is there any better screen that will work with this laptop? The laptop came with 3D software but not a screen for it. Is the 3D screen out yet? Thanks for any input.

5. three4seven

three4seven Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the AUO and it is on par with the other laptops out these days. Not good at all. I've owned tons of laptops over the years and I've just started to see these displays with terrible vertical viewing angles roll out on several laptops in the past 2 years. Dell/Alienware, Asus, Acer - I've seen it on all these laptops. I am certain there are several other manufacturers that use the same crap panels as well as a cost cutting measure.

It's not TERRIBLE, but my biggest gripe is definitely the horrible vertical viewing angles. Other than that - it looks fine on anything but a black screen.

In my opinion for most people that have never seen a better laptop screen - wouldn't think much of the AUO. It's only those who have seen better that know any better.

6. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    My A1 screen is a Hannstar HSD06A5, as not to get confused with the other unit listed above.

EDIT: I had a blonde moment. :) It's apparently a HSD173PUW1. Seeing how well this screen is, I find it hard to believe AUO made a better panel.

7. Jaycalgary

Reputations:
    Not sure what AUO screen "three4seven" has but I am suspecting it is a 1600x900? The Hannstar HSD173PUW1 is Ok and that's about it. I am looking at it as I write this. It really does not have good white its grayish compared to the 1900x1080 AUO B173HW01 V0. That particular AUO also has the blackest blacks I have seen so far and also the best whites. The Hannstar is dull in comparison. I was watching just analog tv through a usb tuner stick. The AUO has exellent color and really shows the cheek makeup news people wear that some look clownish. Vertical viewing angles are not great on either but the Hannstar is worse and looses color tone quickly with angle. My Hannstar bleeds some light at the top of the screen maybe they got cheap and took out some of those reflective sheet that are in the panel. The 1900x1080 AUO B173HW01 V0 is a much better screen than the Hannstar there is no doubt about it.

8. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    You must have gotten a bad Hannstar panel. The color balance and saturation is top notch, and whites are not tainted at all.

9. Jaycalgary

Reputations:
    I got the Hannstar in a G73jw and have had it less than a week. Others have also been complaining about backlight bleed in this model. The white on the Hannstar is fine until you see how white really is with the AUO panel. I will probably be switching my panel out eventually.

10. panzer06

panzer06 His Imperial Majesty

Reputations:
    Maybe the new JW Hannstars are not as good. Hmmm

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.