G73 GSOD Fixes and Resources

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Chastity, Jul 8, 2010.

?

Did this help resolve your GSOD issues?

1. Yes! Life is awesome!

50.0%
  2. No, I am still in GSOD Hell.

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    See the original GSOD thread on sig below for history on the following installation procedures:

I've done a bunch of installs, reinstalls, fresh OS installs, etc and this is what I find works best. Links for software will be provided at the end of this posting.

For current OS install users and stock start here:

1) Do a full uninstall of whatever Power4Gear Hybrid you have. Reboot.
    2) Do a full uninstall of your ATI drivers and utilities. (Run the ATI Installer, and do a Full Automatic uninstall)
    3) Reboot, boot to Safe Mode (F8 at bootup) and run Driver Sweeper. Analyze and Clean for ATI Video Drivers. Now would also be a good time for a Registry Cleaner too.

Fresh OS installers can start here.

Optional step: Download and flash Ziddy's v3 vBIOS. I HIGHLY suggest doing so using ATIFLASH from a command line (DOS) off a bootable USB Flash drive under FAT32. Use "ATIFLASH -p 0 -f asusv3.rom" or edit the update.bat file with the matching commandline and run the bat file. If you get a warning about filesizes or anything, ABORT! or you'll brick the GPU. BTW, if you do this step, reboot to the USB again, and flash your BIOS to 209 while you're at it. :)

For more information on using ATIFLASH, go here.

Update from Asus: Apparently they found a bug in WinFlash 2.29 that is causing the keyboard lights failure. They recommend using the EZFlash utility in the BIOS, or using 2.30.1 or later. Here's a link to the latest on Asus' site, for those insistant on using WinFlash.

4) Install the Asus supplied Catalyst 10.1 Mobility package. (If you are wondering, I've had issues with CCC not starting from a straight up fresh 10.6 install, plus this package adds other support, like Avivo) You'll probably be asked to reboot. If not, reboot anyway.
    5) Install latest Catalyst Mobility Driver and CCC package. (Currently 10.6) reboot.
    6) Download and install Power4Gear Hybrid 1.1.37 and reboot.

Further thoughts:

Now, you should be stable at the stock speeds of 700/1000, but in the event you are not, you can use the AMD GPU Tool or if you updated to v3 vBIOS, CCC's Overdrive to overclock your GPU to gain some stability. (probably due to some powersaving option being disabled when overclocking) I suggest you first try 705/1100. For performance you can try 800/1100 (or 1200). One chap had further issues and needed to slightly underclock to 675/950. (I don't know why, but I think he had other issues and would need to RMA.) I would also suggest in monitoring your temps for awhile when OC'ing to make sure you don't overheat and/or cause further instability issues.

07/09: Wanted to add a piece about Power Saving Modes. If you have some stability issues, please try throwing the laptop into High Performance Mode while gaming. You can also try uninstalling P4GH completely, and use Windows Power Management, but you'll loose your Turbo Boost toggle button and ability to change on the fly.

Addendum: I am adding links for the HP USB Tool v2.18 and Win98 Boot files so that people can use this utility to make bootable USB Flash drives. The tool needs to be run with Admin Rights under Vista/Win 7.

1) Install the HP Tool, and extract the contents of win98boot.zip to a directory, like say "win98boot" :)

2) Run the app, and check on "Create a Bootable Startup Disk", and select the win98boot directory for the source of the DOS System Files.

[​IMG]

3) Format as FAT32, or FAT if it's a small USB drive, hit Start. Done.

4) PROFIT!!!

Addendum Part Deux: Quite a few people coming onto this forum are getting refurbished G73's from CowBoom.com, and the units are being distributed with no discs and no recovery partition. (I can understand wiping the primary partitions, but it's just lazy to wipe the recovery partition too.)

So I am including links for the Asus Driver and Application Disc, and an iso of Windows 7 Installation CD that's version free. You can install any version of Win7, but you still need a valid key for that version. Just use the MS License key on the bottom of your unit, and you will need to use Phone Activation to activate Win7.

I also wanted to add that I am also a big supporter of keeping one's drivers and applications up to date and current, so I'm going to start creating a webpage to list current drivers for the G73's components, without having to navigate Asus' intellectually-challenged website support download pages. :D I was thinking why some people still have issues and I'm stable. Either there's an issue with the install methodology, or another component's install is aggravating it.

Addendum Part III : ATI Pulls A Miracle Zerg Rush!

The 10.7a Catalyst Package
    (Hotfix for SC2) from ATI is a sweet package. Apparently it's a beta, and Viscious mentioned that betas work great for his machine. Plus they have all the great addons all in one happy installer. So I went ahead and uninstalled the 10.7 WHQL, Driver Swept, and installed 10.7a. So far testing is very positive. I would suggest anyone with GSOD issues please try this installer. More info on my thoughts later in this thread. Direct download link available below.

Software Links:

Ziddy's v3 vBIOS

Stock Asus vBIOS (just in case)
    Asus ATI 10.1 Mobility Catalyst
    AMD GPU Tool for HD5870 (Just useful)
    Power4Gear Hybrid 1.1.37
    ATI Mobility 10.6 Catalyst Package (Driver and CCC)
    ATIFLASH 3.79
    DriverSweeper 2.1.0
    HP USB Tool v2.18
    Win98 Boot Files
    Asus Driver and Application Disc
    Windows 7 Universal Install Disc Part1
    Windows 7 Universal Install Disc Part2
    ATI Catalyst 10.7a Hotfix
    AsusDVD 3 in 1(PowerDVD 9 Suite OEM)

2. stevenjii

stevenjii Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Where'd ya download the Power4Gear software? Does it update itself?

3. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's a hardlink to Asus' server. No it won't self-update to newest. I'll have to maintain that, assuming Asus doesn't b0rk anything. :)

4. stevenjii

stevenjii Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ah, ok thanks!

5. Lak666

Lak666 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yeah, sounds like i have done everything right. Still my temps go as high as 111C when playing GTA IV and GTA EFLC.

Im running out of ideas, specially because i used to play GTA EFLC a LOT (5 hour sessions) and i have no idea whats happening!

It all started before i changed to 10.6 and vBios3. Im not sure if it started with the 209 BIOS flash. Anyway my guess is that 209 runs better.

help with this one plz!

6. HeavenCry

HeavenCry Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You could always try cleaning out the vents and reapplying some quality thermal paste...

7. Kenny_Zero

Kenny_Zero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Or an RMA if that is easier than all this work and headache...IMO that is....

8. stevenjii

stevenjii Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What's a proper way to clean out the g73 vents?

9. HeavenCry

HeavenCry Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Take it completely apart and spray the fans (while holding them down so they dont spin) and heatsink fins with some compressed air from a can. Thats the right way, but certainly not easy or pleasant...

10. smile_gerard

smile_gerard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd take a powerful vacuum cleaner and just suck the vents. Maybe spray some compressed air first to loosen then suck it out.