1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

G73 Backlight Keyboard Won't Turn On.

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by DeeZee, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeZee

DeeZee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys! This is my first post, I've been reading these forums for a while and just decided to join. I feel like today was my lucky day, I went into Best Buy for a new Macbook Pro and came out with a g73! They only had one left and I knew it wouldn't last so I had to put my new MBP on hold.:D

Anyway, sorry for the long introduction!

Heres my problem, I can't turn on the backlit keyboard on this thing. I tried the FN + F5 but the lights don't come on. It seems like the only thing I can control with the function keys is the brightness. The volume isn't even working with the function keys. I know the backlight works because it comes on when the computer boots up. :(

Maybe Best Buy messed something up because they did say it was "pre-optimized" :rolleyes:

2. Chango99

Chango99 Derp

Reputations:
    Did they supply you a driver/utility disc? If not, go to the Asus website and install what's necessary.

Do you have ATK package installed? Check in your programs. I believe that's what controls the keyboard hotkeys.

3. <MarkS>

<MarkS> Notebook Village Idiot

Reputations:
    Also...Fn-F3/Fn-F4 is for keyboard backlighting, not Fn-F5 :)

4. DeeZee

Reputations:
    Haha oops for messing up the keys!

No, the only thing I have are some recovery disks the Geek Squad made. I'll look for that program and if I can't find it I'll go to their website. :)

5. DeeZee

Reputations:
    Okay, I have that installed, but I can't find where to change the hotkeys...

6. Kalim

Kalim Ceiling Cat Is Watching U

Reputations:
    There are no hotkeys to change, do as < MarkS > mentioned. For a list of what the Fn keys control, click the link in my sig and read The Journey section.

7. DeeZee

Reputations:
    Okay I got it to work!!!! :) I had to uninstall that package then reinstall it!! Awesome! Now I can sleep easy tonight, I didn't want to have to return this thing to BB knowing they're so hard to find!

Thanks for the help guys!

8. Kalim

Kalim Ceiling Cat Is Watching U

Reputations:
    You are welcome.

BTW, I changed my sig, so when I say click the link in my sig, I now mean the top one.

Sleep well. :)

9. panzer06

panzer06 His Imperial Majesty

Reputations:
    Yeah right...... Meaning it was returned and they reloaded it and missed a step!

Glad you got it fixed on your own. It's a great machine.

Cheers,

10. Theme34xcp

Theme34xcp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have this same problem as well. Can someone help me? I've tried uninstalling and re-installing ATKPackage, but it doesn't work. I would greatly appreciate the advice and help.