G73 5870 softmod to firepro 8800

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by smile_gerard, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iman

iman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm using firepro softmod. I installed the performance driver. It is working and my 3ds max 2011 is reading it as firepro. And it has fine viewport performance. It has small icon in right top of each of your viewport to navigate the camera.

Try installing the performance driver from the latest package (in amd site). You'll notice more difference :)

Actually, the firepro softmod miss I thing: the openCL. It's available in mobility 11.3.
    I don't know how to combine both :D, but when I use radeon for openCL in vray 2.0, there's improvement in rendering time. Not 100% optimized though (I think)

2. smile_gerard

smile_gerard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know if using catalyst 11.3 and above would help with this or not. The guys over at guru3d forum are actually trying to get one a 5 series card for one of the members who used to make a script. No word from the writer of this script so far. Guess we still have to wait a while before an updated script surfaces.

3. Chaosstorm

Chaosstorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    3ds max 2011 has by default always the rotation cube in the top right corner so that does not mean at all that it detects your gpu as a firepro -.-'

4. bryan_d

bryan_d Newbie

Reputations:
    Are there any development news for the g73 and firepro drivers? Just wondering if I should still stick the OP instructions or use new ones if it exists?

Thanks!

5. stolid

stolid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Gerard i followed your instructions to the letter but my scores are horrible

Specviewpref 11 64bit

Viewset Composite
    catia-03 4.76
    ensight-04 18.81
    lightwave-01 17.43
    maya-03 6.96
    proe-05 1.41
    sw-02 14.38
    tcvis-02 3.43
    snx-01 6.84

Do you have any idea what i could be doing wrong ? My specs are same as yours.

6. qjmic

qjmic Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks smile gerard, i did it ! months later, after testing inventor, directx version, my ATI drivers were automatically updated and no more possibility to use Solidworks 2010.. After softmod, T've re install our factory's Solidworks, and it has detect correctly a fire pro, with notable enhancements. (assembly rotation goes faster without graphic simplification)
    But I've lost some games. I've re install some with success and other are dead.
    First week I could turn from 8800 to 5870 twice without restart, after that, computer asked for restart... not a good solution to keep my computer for both job and games with my children.
    I could install the latest Catalyst control center to fix picture size when using a 47" LCD TV with HDMI connexion.
    It would be great to have a "soft switch" between "job" and "games"...

7. smile_gerard

smile_gerard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry haven't really been looking into this for quite a while. So no idea if there are updates. About the switch between job and games, i guess maybe a dual windows installation might do the trick. It is troublesome for sure. I'll look into it when i have time. Also i do plan to retire my G73.

8. nitoniwatori

nitoniwatori Newbie

Reputations:
    Here is my Scores
    Specviewpref 11 64bit (Win7 SP1 x64)
    5870m Core 750 Mem 1100
    Driver 8.982.3

catia-03 11.58 no result
    ensight-04 16.68 no result
    lightwave-01 37.80 no result
    maya-03 27.86 no result
    proe-05 3.14 no result
    sw-02 28.96 no result
    tcvis-02 12.79 no result
    snx-01 16.97 no result

Everything is good except ... i can't make OpenCL work... still looking for it.