G73 5870 softmod to firepro 8800

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by smile_gerard, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smile_gerard

smile_gerard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Doesn't seem to have any updates as of now. There is some talk that the device ID needs to be flipped in one part of the script. Which was my mistake. But it still worked for some reason so i don't know lol.

2. smile_gerard

Reputations:
    This is kind of a late reply and i apologize for that. Softmods are never 100%, i guess their more of a workaround. Kinda like making most of what you have. I know there was someone who did mention about the M7820 and from what i know he did try to get in touch with schoko who wrote the script. But never heard from him after. I do agree that the proper way for us will be to go with the M7820 as its a more similar card, with a different set of drivers. I did try to patch the drivers as a 8700 and it still worked. My only conclusion could be that as long as the device ID is in, it wouldn't matter which line it was put into.

3. tomash

tomash Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, just did the softmod last night. I´m curious if you can check with After Effects CS5. I expected more responsive system due the new driver but AE software doesn´t recognize open gl driver at all. Little lazy to reinstall the AE though.

4. stolid

stolid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am sorry for the stupid question but how do you disable hardware acceleration for the youtube workaround ?

5. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
  6. qjmic

qjmic Newbie

Reputations:
    4 - use riva tuner to patch atikmdag.sy_ in the B100148 folder (use the notepad file you made earlier) Install rivatuner first, then double click the file. A window will pop up, click "continue" change files of type to "atikmdag.sy_" then navigate to the folder you extracted to. And patch it

I'm sorry but I don't know how to patch the file with riva tuner and previously written file, can you be more precise please.

All of other point were be done successfully.

I want to use the laptop with SW2010 (Working in a small factory and don't have money to buy a full certified card laptop computer)

Thanks.

7. smile_gerard

Reputations:
    Have you changed the extension of the notepad file from .txt to .rts?
    Because if you have installed rivatuner, when you change the file extension to .rts the file should be recognized by rivatuner.
    I remember all i had to do was double click on the file and rivatuner would open up.
    Or you can right click the file, open with, then select riva tuner

Here is the instructions to change the file extensions.

1 - Open a folder any folder (win7 should be same as vista. Xp is similar but i don't remember.)
    2 - Click on "organize" in the top left hand corner
    3 - Select "folder and search options"
    4 - Click on "view" tab
    5 - Untick "hide extension for known file types"
    6 - open a new notepad
    7 - copy the script from below and paste it in.
    8 - when you save your notepad file for example "gerard.txt" just rename it to "gerard.rts"
    9 - a prompt will appear, select "yes"

8. swaaye

swaaye Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The reason the FirePro drivers dust Radeon drivers in professional apps is because they are 1) certified for them 2) have support for the acceleration of some special features the apps use.

These drivers are not going to be better for gaming. I would think they would be worse because that aspect may very well be neglected.

9. apachehavok

apachehavok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I actually use this laptop for Maya on the go when im away from my desktop and honestly guys, you do get slightly better performance at the cost of worse game FPS and loads of other features missing...

Coming from someone who was a game dev for 5 years and now works in film, all in all its really not worth it....

10. smile_gerard

Reputations:
    Most of the time i'm on radeon drivers. Its only at times when there's lots of work that i swap to the modded drivers. I do agree you loose quite a bit of features. The last i checked, there's no newer softmod for this but there are guys working on it. But what to do, we can't get the best of both worlds right. I would think maya actually see's the most improvement with the mod since the Specviewpref shows quite a big improvement in maya. For me i use max and i do get improvements in the view ports. But honestly, we shouldn't be doing 3D on this machine. It just doesn't have enough power in it....