G73 5870 softmod to firepro 8800

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by smile_gerard, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamuraiBuddha

SamuraiBuddha Newbie

Reputations:
    I just signed up for the forums on Guru3D, so I will definitely get in touch with shoko. I have been reading both of these forums for about 3 weeks, trying to make sure I got informed and didn't ask any questions that were already listed somewhere in the forums.

It is definitely the script that I am worried about, I have already modified the inf files in the m7820 driver, and that model was specifically listed along with the m5800, so hopefully that is a good sign :) . These were the only two cards listed in this driver's inf's.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and post all the info in the first place. It really helped me start off my project and was not as intimidating as the instructions on Guru3d.

here is the link for the driver download from HP's website, just in case you would like to look at it:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=4138087&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4058

-Driver - Graphics - ATI Video Driver and Control Panel
    19 May 2010

2. smile_gerard

smile_gerard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just wanted to give back what i had pieced together in a simplified manner for us G73 users. Since no one had posted anything about a mod. And that many of us who buy gaming laptops actually use it for design. It did take me quite a lot of searching and trying to understand what the guru3d forums was talking about. Everything was just all over the place. They didn't have like just one updated post. Thanks for also informing about the card. I didn't notice that part. Lets hope Shoko will work his magic and pull a rabbit out of the hat.

3. bertio

bertio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A simple Pros and Cons of 5870 Vs 8800 would squash most questions, instead of "well if you don't already know don't worry about it."

4. smile_gerard

Reputations:
    V8800 is ATI's answer to the Qudros. The top of the line ATI workstation card.
    5870 is just your regular radeon gaming card. Thou this is supposedly the most powerful mobility graphic card.

One is meant for doing things like 3d animations where else the other is just for games

5. smile_gerard

Reputations:
    Updated scores of SPECviewpref 11 and 10 between radeon and softmod in the first post.

6. smile_gerard

Reputations:
    @SamuraiBuddha - I've posted on the first post some scores from SPECviewpref 10 and 11. I would say the current mod does work pretty well. Especially for Maya. The main problem i have with it is that, UDV is disabled. Sadly its beyond my capabilities to make it work. I would guess the script needs a little tweaking to work. Now that i'm on the firepro driver again, i notice my text looks more crisp. So for anyone using Maya, this mod is definitely for you.

7. bryan_d

bryan_d Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I was reading about 3 pages into the huge thread, and one day came upon this thread which is easier to follow for the most part.

Some links you have that were truncated do not work, and it would be nice if you explained how to use the notepad created *.rts file. I had to go to the guru3d board to get the original links and to also learn how to use the scripts.

Great job. :)

Bryan d

PS - ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 with 64GB Kingston SSD: Solidworks Student Machine

8. smile_gerard

Reputations:
    Sorry about the links, didn't know they were now broken. Already updated them so now it all works. Glad it helped you out. Also did a short tutorial on how to change the file extension. I made this tutorial mainly because it was really confusing in guru3d. Thanks for letting me know of the dead links.

9. bryan_d

bryan_d Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much!

10. bryan_d

bryan_d Newbie

Reputations:
    Step 4 "use riva tuner to patch atikmdag.sy_ in the B100148 folder (use the notepad file you made earlier)"

Would probably benefit many who have never used RivaTuner, if a clearer explanation were made on how to run the script.

Thanks again,

Bryan d