G50V hard drive performance tip

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mario64, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mario64

mario64 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been working diligently to resolve intermittent stutter when playing WoW on my G50V-A2. My investigation led me to inspect the sata jumper settings on the two Seagate Momentus 7200.2 hard drives. Lo and behold they were set to half-speed! I removed the jumpers to enable full 3.0 Gb/sec speed. Wow what a difference!!! :)

2. Oldman

Oldman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And what is the difference?

3. mario64

Reputations:
    Oh sorry, assumed it would be obvious. Stutter in WoW is gone and hard disk performance in general is WAY better, loading speed, etc

4. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    My unit came with Western Digital Drives, and has no issues from the start. You may want to specify the model (X1, A1, B1) so people know.

I can share a performance tip for the A1 also tho.

The WD drives have a feature called AAM, its acoustic management. Basically it keeps the drives super silent at the default setting of 128, but you can raise it all the way to 256 I think are the numbers. At the highest setting your access time drops by .3ms and that does mean something when it comes to random access time.

From my review:
    [​IMG]

I had it stock on the first drive and turned up to max on the second drive.

That very program can change it HD Tune Pro, however due to how the HDD's are connected only one of them can be changed. To change both you would have to swap them around or hook it up externally.

5. mario64

Reputations:
    I said G50V-A2. :)

6. iBird

iBird Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mario, do you mind telling me how removed the SATA jumpers? I have the A2 as well. And if you don't mind, what exactly does this do, why are the jumpers in place?

7. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Oh I meant the thread title but its ok. I added the A1 tip :p

8. infinityjew

infinityjew Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    x2

Thanks

9. Slaughterhouse

Slaughterhouse Knock 'em out!

Reputations:
    I'm interested in this as well.

10. mario64

Reputations:
    Here's a link to the owner's manual for the drives. Page 20 explains the jumper settings. http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/notebook/momentus/7200.2/100451238d.pdf

From the factory, Asus has them in compatibility mode which is for motherboards that don't support 3.0 Gb/sec transfer speed. Problem is the G50V does support it. To enable all you do is remove the jumper.

If you google Sata I vs. Sata II you'll find many articles, some of which indicate there is no real-world difference between the two. Others, however, have found marked improvement in specific types disk access (small writes for example). From my own personal experience with WoW it most definitely makes a difference. Since graphics performance in WoW is so closely tied to hard disk performance I would surmise it is using the types of disk access specifically enhanced by Sata II

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.