G4 Ibook vs. IBM x31 which one to choose

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by AchieveHere.com, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AchieveHere.com

AchieveHere.com Newbie

Reputations:
    Decisions decisions decisions… [?]
    We literally have a chess game here…The Question is: IS you preference Black or White?

I like both these machines. My demands will be entertainment 30%, work/office stuff 40%, photos/video editing 20%, future proof 10%
    Both notebooks are excellent, but could any one who has experience of either or both notebooks please help me decide which notebook would be better.
    I’m not too bothered about the OS. Both XP and OsX have their pros and cons.
    I’m looking for experienced/comments on reliability in hardware, OS crashes, and service support to help me with my decision. [:)]

Your current circumstances are as a result of your past actions.
    Your future circumstances are as a result of your current actions.
    What are you doing to better your self?

2. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    For what the X31 costs, I'd be looking at a PowerBook instead of an iBook, but that might just be me.

I almost went with a PB recently, but I ended up deciding against it because of application and peripheral support. I use an air card that has no Apple support, a PDA with the same and a few other devices. In the end, I decided that I just didn't want to have to fight the computer every time I wanted to use a new bleeding edge technology.

However, if you're not working like me, the Apple might work for you. As for the IBM, the X31 is regarded as one of the best notebooks on the market. You could hardly go wrong, though I wish the video options were are bit more robust. I think it ships with only a 16MB card if memory serves.

It's going to come down to personal preference, I needed to stay with Windows, so I would lean heavily toward the X31. If I were you, I'd play with both in stores for a while and make the decision then.

Brian

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

3. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Interesting choice in narrowing down your options. The X31 is an ultraportable, so realize you'll be cutting down on screen size but will have extreme portability. If you'll be using it at your desk a lot, you might be making the wrong choice (unless you want to buy the replicator so you can output to a monitor and use other peripherals).

Having said this, I'd go with the X31 because I'm not a Mac fan and the X31 has got nice features such as built-in Bluetooth and memory card readers and is extremely small. It's been reviewed positively in nearly every review I've seen. You'll have to consider the fact expansion is somewhat of a pain with the X31, you'll have to buy what's called a 'media slice' to add-on such things as a CD-RW or other types of drives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.