G4 1Ghz Vs Pentium M 1.3Ghz?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by malliped, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badrhetoric

badrhetoric Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, rigged up pc gaming notebooks outperform powerbooks, but they also vent heat poorly, have terrible battery life and can cost even more than powerbooks (although at far greater performance.) The truth is that if you're not going to be doing any hardcore gaming or rendering there's no point on wasting money on high end technology.

OS-X and jag are more secure, not more stable-- there's a difference- and that's only because there's far more incentive to destabilize xp and only true until you wise up and get a proper firewall and anti virus program, which nobody should be without in the first place. There are plenty of good free ones out there. Again it comes down to which you are more familiar with or if you're using software that requires either one. If you're going to be running demanding games then you'll have to spend tons of money on fast ram, a fast processor, a fast gpu, and a fast hdd. If you're into the mac aesthetics thing, you'll have to spend relatively more money on a powerbook.

2. shinster

shinster Newbie

Reputations:
    i use two laptops currently
    one IBM a31p and a sony t3.
    they cost $3500 and $2300 respectively.
    I had the 17" titanium, $3000.
    I am a network engineer/researcher.
    I use the laptop from for everything from programming to 3D modelling.

As far as software is concerned, including OSes, we can compare the OS/software industry currently to the days when our only choice in cars were those domestically made cars. Some oh my die hard loyalists friends still say the Ford is the best, but they have never experienced the ownership of a Lexus. Currently there is now lexus of OS. X, Linux and Xp have their significant problems.

The softwares, including OSes, are still very buggy and inefficient and there is no new major competitors who will challenge Microsoft or UNIX.

Apple's BSD UNIX based OX X is OK. Better then XP. But neither are great.

Most all Windows laptops will overheat with graphics/disk intensive applications. Apple is better then most.

Either a top end laptop using XP or Apple PB is fine. I recommend Panasonic or Fujitsu for XP. Panasonic is pricy. But it is built even better then a PB.

Avoid, no matter how cheap the following.
    Gateway
    DELL
    HP/Compaq
    cheap and badly designed laptops.

I made my final choice simply by the software available for the OS.
    Windows had the software I wanted to use . Also my Thinkpad has a 1600x1200 screen, and this was 2 years ago.
    Ibm thinpad however has been in the shop 10 times during those 2 years.
    My last 2 Sony VAIOs never had problems in 5 years.

3. marcus

marcus Newbie

Reputations:
    http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1801&p=16

That's the link to the content creation specs. The powerbook is not included but it gives you a pretty good idea of the power of the Centrino chip.

I just had to say in reply to the last post that I'm not sure how bad or good Dell's notebooks are in relation to IBM and others, but the one I've had has been working great for 3 years. The only problems have been with the optical drive. When that happened dell sent a new one within two days of me calling it in.

My co-worker has had a 1ghz PB since October '04 and has returned it to Apple 3 times (once to replace the screen, most recently because it kept crashing for no reason--they put all his ram in a plastic bag and sent it back--and ... to tell you the truth I don't know the third reason.) A guy I know in Buena Vista, Virginia had the same notebook and returned it 4 times for everything from the screen to the optical drive to logic board failures--after the fourth time Apple offered to upgrade him to a 1.5ghz new PB since he'd had so many problems. He just got that a couple days ago.

I know this is a notebook forum, but in Apple's favor, I will say that since October 2004 when I started working on my 1.6ghz G5, I've never had a single problem. Hardware or sofware... I love it. I also work with a guy who has had the 17" powerbook since about October and has had no problems with it either.

Take all this with a grain of salt though--I'm just a "PC guy using a Mac."

4. YummyPork

YummyPork Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Heh... wish I was a PC guy using a Mac [;)]

Seriously, I can't go into the local Apple store with-out feeling pangs of regret that I gave Dell $1,800 instead of Apple.

So, @ the original poster, unless you have some PC only software you need to use, get the Apple. If it turns out you don't like it, trade it with your brother for that rock-solid IBM he will have.

Pork

5. lewdvig

lewdvig Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Barry J. Doyle

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.