G1s GPU Fried - Out of Warranty - Any Idea on Cost?

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Kricket, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _bare

_bare Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I researched this more and you are right. Everest and CPU-Z show it as a 9800GS but when you right click->properties->display settings it says 9800GT.
    I just thought it was odd, but I guess it doesnt have any real impact.

2. _bare

_bare Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for the double post.

Hmmm so you got your recovery disc, I think I will email them about it.

And the only reason Im using laptopvideo2go drivers are because I read reviews saying the latest Nividia driver, 195.62 I think, wasnt better than the 186.62. Anyhow, the drivers are actual Nvidia drivers (albeit from laptopvideo2go), WHQL certified, and my card was on the list of compatible ones so in theory it should be reading as a 9800GS.

3. everluck

everluck Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm having the same typical GPU issues as so many G1S users. I've been having the problems for a long time, but was able to remediate the impact by using a Zalman NC-2000 cooler and removing the bottom plates of the G1S. That helped for a few months, but it seems the heat has finally caught up to me, and I'm now experiencing random artifacting and color distortion. I had planned to contact Asus about a replacement, but I've made some hardware changes and I'm not sure how that would affect the process. I've replaced the default HDD and swapped out the T7500 for an X9000. Any thoughts on how that would affect a replacement/repair request?

4. Lucid5

Lucid5 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had the same problem as everyone here. I sent mine in with a request for an exchange, hopefully they will comply.

@everluck--I would take everything out that was not originally put in by Asus before considering an RMA. I told the CS rep that I reformatted the hdd to have Win XP and he said it was fine, but I'm pretty sure they'd point out that it might have been your fault for replacing the hardware even though you had every right to do so.

5. kama

kama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had issues with my G1S and my husbands since the day I got them, with overheating and shutting down. The situation has never been completely resolved despite sending them in for repairs several times.
    We are now finally to the point that I can tell GPU failure is imminent. My husbands is getting artifacts occasionally and randomly shutting down at least once a day, mine is doing similar stuff.

We are of course out of warranty (We bought the notebooks in July 2007). The exchange for a fee thing sounds awesome, how do you do it?

6. Lucid5

Lucid5 Newbie

Reputations:
    @ kama--I went to http://asuswiki.asus.com/usaSupport/index.php?title=Notebook_Customer_Service and got their CS number:

Notebook Customer Service
    Toll Free: 1-888-678-3688
    Phone: 812-282-ASUS(2787) - option 2; option 2

You can also just fill out a RMA request form found on that same page.

I'm still waiting for them to offer me an exchange for a fee, hopefully they'll email me this week.

According to others in this thread, pestering them and escalating it to a supervisor seems to help.

7. kama

kama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, I will try calling them tomorrow and see how it goes. Let me know if they end up offering you an exchange for a fee. Did you already mail yours in?

8. Lucid5

Lucid5 Newbie

Reputations:
    @ kama --Make sure to detail everything when speaking with the CS rep. They'll ask you to type up what you've summed up to them in the RMA as well.

I'll post if they offer me anything.

I shipped them the notebook via UPS on March 1 and it arrived at their Indiana facility on March 3.

They CS rep confirmed it for me when I called them March 5. They are "working" on my laptop now, but the online RMA check wasn't working so I'm really not sure what's going until I give them another call Monday or Tuesday.

9. kama

kama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Lucid, Just wondering what you heard back?

10. mrPico

mrPico Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you are not able to find a replacement for the GPU, try "baking" the GPU when all hope is lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.