FZ-G1 WWAN card issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SAVi (nick), Mar 17, 2021.

1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Yup.... - toughkit

I knew you'd get it.

BTW... Not sure if the Dell card will work. I'll be interested to hear on that one.

2. SAVi (nick)

SAVi (nick) Newbie

Reputations:
    dell card is showing up ok but the fz is not connecting to the network like before, says it's turned off. Honestly not sure if we want to mess with that at the moment- seems like a lot of work to flash them. we will hopefully bet getting a couple more of these fz's though, so i will have plenty to play with once this one is running out in the field.

it may be helpful to know that we are running mint mobile sim cards in these. Mint uses T-Mobile service, which is at first glance not compatible, however due to the fact that they recently acquired sprint, it usually works ok. I've looked at all of the bands and it seems that everything should work out ok- and so far it has, we have done the same thing with a CF-53 MK4 before.

Mint mobile is dirt cheap, so it's a really easy starting point for our application, and is at worst functional with our setup, but we could always switch out for verizon/att if needed for extra reliability.

Toughbook likes this.
  3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I tried a Dell card a while back and had no luck.
    I agree flashing seems like a lot of hassle. I tried to flash the Dell and failed.

4. SAVi (nick)

SAVi (nick) Newbie

Reputations:
    we will try to return it to the seller. If not, we will probably just buy another. ~20 bucks shipped on ebay so not that bad.

hope they dont send us a lenovo one this time :rolleyes:

5. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think your "generic" cards are in fact Panasonic ones :vbbiggrin:

6. SAVi (nick)

SAVi (nick) Newbie

Reputations:
    It is highly probable, to be honest I will not claim to know all that much about it but from my research, Panasonic does not make the cards, they just use the default sierra wireless ones. AFAIK dell and lenovo are the only ones which need a branded and firmware locked from the factory module, which you must reflash to make work with other models of PC. So, i do call the factory defult cards "generic", but maybe those are the Panasonic ones ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As a side note for later readers, dell is identified by a model number with this format: DW5808e, compared to EM7355, and Lenovo chips have the name directly on the sticker. Dell looks significantly different in terms of color as well (black and white only), and the default cards have very little sticker space taken up, while both of the other 2 have all kinds of stuff written all over them.

Either way it's working now, and replacements are cheap. It honestly makes me wonder why they are so inexpensive when you can find them other places (like "Bob's Hardware") for like 200 bucks. Anyone think of a reason beyond guaranteed compatibility or government pricing (artificially inflated to meet the spending capability of gov't money)?