FZ G1 tips, tricks, mods ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Shawn, Oct 4, 2017.

1. acidflux

acidflux Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello All,

I have a FZ-G1 MK2 that currently has a EA21 barcode reader that I want to remove and add an ethernet lan port in its place. Does anyone know the parts needed for the conversion? Also I have been told that the bios will have to be flashed to enable the lan port? I have upgraded tons of CF18/19 & 30/31's adding lte modems, gps, etc so I have some technical experience. Looking for expert advice on this!

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I would be surprised if it needs a BIOS flash to add the LAN port.
    I have swapped in and out a barcode scanner/GPS/USB port using the same BIOS.
    However, I have not used the LAN port, so I can't be 100% sure.

Best bet is to buy the entire LAN port assembly.

These are the part numbers
    FZ-WLNG111 early mks
    FZ-WLNG121 later mks

3. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you tried Fedora 29?

WIFI, Bluetooth, ethernet, Screen rotation, Wacom tablet pen, cameras worked "out of the box". Sound took some fiddling. (If I remember, had to use alsamixer to lower all volumes, and turn muting off, then raise all volumes, and save with alsactl. But you have to save to your home folder, then restore from your home folder.) I think WWAN worked, but not really sure since I don't have an AT&T account, and the card mine came with (MC7700) is AT&T.

One thing that all distros I have tried (so far) need is work on screen scaling. Also there is somewhat of a lacking for GPS software that works well in Linux. Navit works OK, but is not an "out of the box" experience, and far from intuitive to use.

That said, I have gone to Windows 10 on this tablet, and it works very well. Not my favorite OS, but seems best suited for this device (IMHO).

4. Shawn

Reputations:
    A user here wrote an instruction sheet on how to run Garmin mobile PC on Linux for me a while back.

Screen scaling for sure. That was a MAJOR problem with Linux on the tiny U1's.

5. theoak2

Reputations:
    Using wine?

6. Shawn

Reputations:
    Yes using Wine. I forgot to type that part.

Garmin mobile PC does something funky with serial ports if I recall correctly.

7. mikethepig

mikethepig Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys got to give it to you enjoyed reading thread you really are computer ninjas should have listened in school myself cant wait to see your next project and till yesterday I didn't know what a wwan was I do now but you boys lost me in this one

Shawn likes this.
  8. Shawn

Reputations:
    Well I have the mk3 up and running.
    I had some issues with my custom SD reader/ 2nd usb port. The wiring was a little off.
    The mk1 and mk3 may have different wiring for the smartcard port. Main difference COULD be the enable pin. Pin 4 vs pin 10
    Also I noticed when you set the docking usb port to usb2.0, things were a tad wonky. Once I set it to usb3.0, the sd card reader and camera worked. Don't know if it was related or not. I know when it was set to usb2.0 the factory 2nd usb port did not work. I plan on trying it again and then swapping the gps from my mk1 over to the mk3.

Good news is the Intel 8265 card works. I replaced the 7265. I did not check Bluetooth on it. Both cameras now work.
    OS is Elementary 64 bit.
    I MAY dual boot in order to use Garmin mobile PC. I do have my notes saved on how to get Garmin to work on Wine(thanks Karl). I can't recall what flavor of Linux we did that on. I know it was not Elementary. Probably Zorin.

9. Shawn

Reputations:
    Well bluetooth is working, But I think I have a micro usb bluetooth hidden in the custom sd/ usb hub.

10. theoak2

Reputations:
    how is screen scaling?