fz-55 review

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by kz7883, Dec 19, 2020.

1. kz7883

kz7883 Newbie

Reputations:
    hey folks, i received my fz-55 about 2 weeks ago. it has the i7 cpu 1.9ghz-48ghz with turbo boost. so far this thing is a beast! i have the dual battery option, 64gb of ram and im about to order the graphics card.i opted for the vga module extension with serial port. i also added a dvd rom. its running soley on the supplied 500gb quick disconnect ssd from panasonic. i think there is a place for a second m2 hdd if i understood correctly, but havent really looked.

the good.................. insane display, insane battery life (up to 40hrs they claim), absolutely blazing fast, appears to built stronger than my 54s

the meh.................. price,heavier than my 54s,thicker than my 54s

the bad.....................it seems no matter what i do i havent been able to install any other os than win10, i develop applications for xp-10 so i really need a dual boot win7/win laptop. i spent at least a week trying to get win7 installed and everytime have come up short. imho they should let you pick a option for cms support if needed in the bios.

this is just my worthless 2 cents. but i have literally owned tens of thousands of toughbooks since the m34 lol. if anyone has any suggestions on any way to dual boot, please let me know :)

Toughbook likes this.
  2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick review.
    I saw the 55 on Panasonic's web site and was curious about it.

You probably already know this, but
    The OS thing may have to do with Win 10 being "interlocked?" with the BIOS.
    I don't recall what we had to do, but I recall OS issues while I was installing Linux on various Toughbooks. Disable Secureboot might be part of it.

3. kz7883

kz7883 Newbie

Reputations:
    thank you for your feedback sir! i will give that a shot

4. tomcatsniper

tomcatsniper Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There is no way you will be able to install Windows 7 on a CPU higher than 6th gen. Starting from 7th gen only Windows 10 is working.
    What I mean is that Intel didn't release any drivers for Windows 7 to cover the chipset/CPU/LAN/WLAN/etc. that are used in the newer machines.
    From what I see the FZ-55 is a 8th gen machine so your only solution is Windows 10 and VirtualBox or other virtualization solution and run the Windows 7 in a VM. You have enough RAM for that.

toughasnails and kz7883 like this.
  5. kz7883

kz7883 Newbie

Reputations:

thank you sir! that is kinda what i was thinking also. thank you for confirming this :)

6. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    *ahum*

https://www.win-raid.com/t4883f52-S...Controllers-of-new-Intel-chipset-systems.html

Shawn likes this.
  7. tomcatsniper

tomcatsniper Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's for USB drivers only from what I see there, what about LAN and WiFi? Also no drivers for Intel Video card in the new CPUs. Even if you make it work at standard panel resolution probably performance will be very bad. And that's not all, the new CPUs have all those drivers for Thermal Management, ACPI and power stuff. Just try it and you will see. I tried a few times and even if I fixed many of the drivers I was still not able to fix important ones like WLAN and LAN. I was using a USB to LAN adapter. That's not the way to go when you have the latest model of hardware.

8. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Okay... It has been about 10 years since I purchased an insanely expensive new Toughbook. Normally I would grab one of my refurbished ones. KZ... Where did you purchase yours? What did you pay? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Right now I am using a CF-53 I bought off the Bay about 6 months ago. It's in great shape and has all the options but it would be nice to have something new especially with the much longer battery life. Of course I'd want all the goodies!

Can you please tell me what is easily upgradable after the fact? I imagine adding a 2nd hard drive would be easy, RAM of course... But what about the video card, webcam or GPS?

I need to get busy one day and start putting together less expensive packages for eBay to get rid of my excess stock before they become totally worthless.

EDIT - Also... I'd probably want to install my own SSD... Do these still come with recovery disks or are they partitioned recovery?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  9. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
  10. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I guess that is why a 1TB SSD in this model costs $1k?