Futureproof lightweight work/personal laptop.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by TLN, Apr 4, 2019.

1. TLN

TLN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all.

It's been a while, since I looked into laptops. Thinking about upgrading my laptop to something new. I just realized that I went through two laptops through my whole life: Bought VAIO VGN-Z750 approx 10 years ago, and then bought VAIO VPC-Z21 5-6 years ago. And I work in Basically looking for something similar, that I can use for next 5 years.

Looking for:
    -13-14". 14" is preffered.
    -No soldered memory and SSD: Both have to be upgrade-able.
    -Mid-range CPU: no need in gaming CPU, high mid range is perfectly fine.
    -Ethernet port preferred.
    -Good keyboard
    -Business features are welcome: Soild case, WLAN, fingerprints, business support
    -Good battery life

What I don't care:
    -Display. It will be FHD/4K, not sure about touch. So far, my go-to idea is FHD/touch.
    -Design. Industrial/business design is perfectly fine.

Will likely buy mid-range spec (CPU-wise, and feature-wise), with low memory 8/128 or something like that, and upgrade memory/drive later myself to 32/1Tb.

I'm looking at ultrabooks (XPS, X1, etc), but everything is soldered.
    Business laptops look very good to me though: 7490, X380, T480S and such. Bit heavier, but got more ports and easier to upgrade. I assume construction is a bit beefy as well.
    So far, I really liked 7490, looking for possible alternatives and options.

2. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    check huawei offerings as well, you may check these video reviews:

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Given that you're getting a mid-range CPU, I wouldn't imagine that a max of 24GB of memory the T480s can offer you is going to hamstring you in the next five years, at which point you'll probably be looking for a new notebook anyways. The T480s would seem to check your other boxes well and the SSD is upgradeable.

4. TLN

TLN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's on my shortlist as well.
    Honestly, I don't quite like the idea of 8+16 memory, and would rather prefer 16+16. Also, I see that Lenovo released new T490 and T490S models. T490 looks like old T480s and T490s sits between X1 and X1 extreme. I like Lenovo, but two slots of memory and 3 years of warranty on dell looks way better to me.

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There's no performance advantage here unless you have a specific need for more memory. I'd take the T480s over the Dell, but that's me. The longer warranty does have value.

6. TLN

TLN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dual-channel vs single channel performance? or I'll have to match existing 8gb in T480s.
    I also see there're T490 and T490s laptops. Makes it a bit harder to choose.