Future xps model discussion.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by kojack, Dec 19, 2017.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is a delay vs prior XPS15 cycles.

But with the whole NSA/security PR disaster, I suppose Intel needs to regroup a bit...

2. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope the battery capacity remains the same, although a slight reduction would be fine if the long term quality control of the batteries is improved. The smaller battery capacities of the XPS 15 2 in 1 and new XPS 13 are concerning.

3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Check here for news on the new XPS 13 - battery capacity is 15% reduced from the 9560.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...e-and-its-disappointing.812821/#post-10664253

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think the "intel fiasco" has anything to do with the xps 15 timing....I think they are redesigning it completely and it's not all finalized. No worries on the batteries. They will have great battery life.

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 9570 release date is well behind those of the 9550 and 9560 so that indicates that Intel's HQ chips are being delayed for some reason. Intel's 6th, 7th, and 8th generation chips are essentially similar and mature so these are probably not production challenges at Intel. That is why I think finding a some interim solution for the "intel fiasco" may be slowing things down. Could also be that Intel is overwhelmed with the recent rework in response to AMD. Who knows...

Frank Azor's recent public post stated the 9570 would be released when Intel released 8th gen HQ chips implying the XPS' timing is based on Intel's timeline. The "H" rather than "G" chips also implies a separate GPU (e.g. nVidia).

Complete redesign of the 9570 is speculation as the XPS 13 and XPS15 2-for-1 have the same basic XPS look. For the 9570, if Dell continues with a similar 2018 nVidia GPU and the similar 8th gen chips (albeit with more cores and lower clocks), there is not so much redesign. I think the dedicated nVidia chip will help differentiate the 9570 from the new 15" 2-for-1 so is my bet.

9th gen will be a different story...