Future proof laptop CPU>GPU in

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by JohnnyFirpo, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyFirpo

JohnnyFirpo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

I’d really appreciate your suggestions on what’s the (ideally) most durable laptop at the moment. I come from a long 5y Macbook experience, but the last years were like married sex life after 70.

I am looking for a 15” laptop for multimedia (streaming, kodi), photoshop and occasional gaming (smth more than mugen), with the hope of keeping this machine working as long as possible.
    Considering the new 6-cores coffee lake just released, I was thinking to invest more on CPU (eg 8700-) rather than GPU (eg GTX1600-) to have a more future-proof machine.

Another important point: must be distributed in EU (e.g. Schenker would be great as I’m in DE).

Main points:
    - Long lasting and resistant
    - No fan noisy
    - CPU over GPU (6 cores over GTX)
    - Good brand and customer support
    - Fast SSD (256-512) + 1T SATA
    - Good hardware value over mobility (better a bulk with desktop GTX than a slim with Max-Q)
    - 15” screen FHD 60hz or better 120hz+GSync

I am recently watching this new XMG from Schenker: http://www.xmg.gg/xmg-apex15 (sry for the language). It’ll be releases soon, with a basic configuration i5 8700 + GTX1600 from ~1200€ (1400$). Otherwise the Alienware 15 R3 7700HQ GTX1060 looks like an attractive and safer alternative despite the lower CPU. Otherwise I can remember how wise I used to be for 5 years and save a lot of money buying the Inspiron 7577 (7700HQ+GTX1600).

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    2200$ (1800€)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

14" s”- 15” screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Online for Germany or EU

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell, Asus, Schenker
    b. Dislike: Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? yes, if with warrancy and in EU

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Video streaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Desk

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? Yes. PES, FIFA, Street Fighter, COD

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? ~4-5h

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? not important

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    15” FHD, no 4K needed. 120hz+GSync would be a nice to have.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    no
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    no rush
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    3-5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Fast 256-512Gb SSD (eg PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe) + 1T SATA

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? not important

==========

Thank you in advance!

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    I would recommend chilling a little bit. The new mobile coffee lakes will likely drop some prices and if we are really lucky we might get an AMD based system with MXM GPU, which would be the way to go.

slimmolG and JohnnyFirpo like this.
  3. JohnnyFirpo

JohnnyFirpo Newbie

Reputations:
    What about CLEVO notebook?
    I see quite big price difference between resellers in EU: a i7-8700 gtx 1600 on gamingguru is much cheaper than on nexor or obsidianpc. On eurocom-eu the price is much higher.

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Eurocom is generally more expensive, however they also offer excelent services and custom cards. Again I'd wait a little bit. The prices will drop and if there finally is a good AMD build coming with AM4 socket, then u're really good to go, considering that AMD promised that the socket will be supported to at least 2020. On Intel it really doesn't matter if you buy socketed or not, if you want to upgrade from a 8700K to lets say a 9700K,then you'd have to buy new board etc. anyways, so in that regard you could probably go for BGA as well.

5. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I second this. The new 6 core mobile coffee lake laptops will come out in April (definitely before Computex, which is in May) and the new Volta/Ampere mobile GPUs are coming out in August (this was when Pascal mobile was launched).

6. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There already is an AM4 laptop out, the ASUS GL702ZC. It comes with a Ryzen 7 1700 (8C16T) and an RX 580. Available for £1300 (€1464) here on Amazon.

7. JohnnyFirpo

JohnnyFirpo Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow I must admit I haven’t considered this machine yet. Looking at the review on notebookcheck, it’s defintely a puzzle: super CPU paired with a normal GPU (with mentioned issues of compatibily with many games). Morever, other defects were pointed out, like heat and noisy.
    Still, the CPU test impressed me. I’m wondering whether in future the GPU might have more compatibily with games....

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    The batterylife is absolutely trash.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The RX 580 notebook GPU is also rather weak by today's standards. It's still powerful enough to play most games with no issues, with performance that is similar to a GTX 980M.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/14434583/fs/10122415#

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    but the heat output though

yes it's overclockable and has better architecture for future rendering techniques, but with the limited heat dissipation capability of laptops it's going to be a hard sell

Mr. Fox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.