Future of Vehicles: We'll all be passengers.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by J.Dre, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Well the scenarios where the AI would have to choose between its passenger or an outside group are rare, but my point is that it's been a commonly discussed phenomenon when talking about AI development (usually referenced as the classic "trolley problem"). The actual scenario possibility is minimal I agree (like you said, injury is more probable), but as AI development moves further and implements itself across more platforms, this discussion only becomes more prominent. And even then, there are still a handful of scenarios in a car that would result in death (as shown by everyday accidents). A car can only brake so fast (given the laws of physics), especially if we're not equipping it with the latest carbon ceramic brakes found on supercars so chances are swerving may be the only answer to avoid an unexpected obstacle and at high speeds, death is a possibility.

Elon Musk and Bill Gates have both cautioned on their views over AI development and how it's something that needs to be very sensitive given the balance of human life an AI might have to eventually face.

I'm not meaning to turn this discussion into Skynet, but there are real considerations that need to be thought out. I'm not against autonomous cars (even though I personally would still want to drive), but know that it still needs work and there's plenty of work being done and questions being answered every day.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Word. I love driving, whether it's commuti ng to work or headed on a trip.

I'm not one of those conspiracy theorist types but I'd hate to be forced to give that up, to only be able to actively drive what I truly wanted only at "driving parks" and tracks.

Seriously, that would suck.

On the other hand, I'm cool with stuff like ABS and Stability Control, especially if a cars ESC can be turned off completely (or at least switchable into a sport/track mode) when you want to have some fun.

Adaptive cruise control seems to be a interesting technology. I don't need it but I'm sure for some its a nice to have.

The fact that one can walk out the door with a Civic with Honda Sensing (ACC w/ auto stop/low speed follow, Automatic Emergency Braking, Lane Departure Warning w/ Lane Keep Assist, Road Departure Mitigation) for about 20k is impressive.

if one wanted a cheap stress reducing highway commuter for work, that would be one of the best options one could buy.

The democratization of automotive tech is fascinating even if I'd likely do without.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lamborghini Aventador's actually have a fairly neat feature used in crashes: the doors blow off like in James Bond movies to allow passengers to escape. Maybe vehicles need some form of ejection pod for passengers if the "AI" determines there is no suitable outcome. :D

Anyway, there will always be outliers. I can't think of a situation where death is the only outcome. Surely there must be some crazy, insane, unthinkable scenario in which this is true. However, AI should be able to calculate and determine the best course of action before the situation exists through analysis of its environment at millions of calculations per second. So, it wouldn't even be in that position in the first place. Theoretically, the AI would be able to predict (and avoid) any situation by analysis of outcomes and their likeliness of occuring, hundreds of thousands of times per second.

It's honestly unthinkable, the capabilities of such a system. We can't and never will be able comprehend it. Once an AI is born, it learns faster and will become more intelligent than the entire human race in a matter of hours (maybe moments?). We'll never be able to fully understand it and its capabilities.* We've definitely taken this conversation a bit too far. What am I doing awake at 5AM talking about artificial intelligence's? :confused:

*And an ASI is born.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  4. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would love to have a self driving car. It wouldn't be my only vehicle but something I'd use daily to work and during work to customers and back. One day I might spend up to 3-4 hours behind the wheel, droning from one place to another. I'd rather spend that time doing something productive or read/watch something, hell even a nap would sound good.

Cruise control is nice, basically a must have option. Adaptive Cruise would be even better, nothing is more irritating than someone in front of you constantly altering speed. Quite often I just overtake them and continue at my own pace (legal limit +3km checked in GPS).

5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    booboo12 likes this.
  6. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ughh, I'll have my cruise control set at 70 and their will literally be 1 other vehicle and I'll be catching up to it, but when I get in the other lane to pass them, they speed up. So I get back behind them and they start slowing down again. This will happen 2 or 3 times before I finally just have to accelerate to 85 and pass them for good.

7. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I hate when that happens. The best thing to do is just pass them. Being around people like that can lead to other problems.

By the way, where the hell are you driving that allows 85 MPH on cruise control? :D

8. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My typical luck is that those are in front of me on the roads where passing by is not easy or impossible for great distances.

Another great excuse to have car do the driving. Better on nerves :)

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Texas probably. They have some stretches of interstate with an 85mph limit.

-----------

My car's ECM allows me to set cruise control up to 90mph. Tested in a safe, controlled environment, of course.

10. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Cruise was set at 70, I just accelerated to 85 to pass someone.

I have driven the interstate in Texas with the 85mph speed limit though, if I remember right its time stamped when you get on and off the interstate so their wasn't any speeding at all, everyone was going exactly 85mph.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.