Future of Vehicles: We'll all be passengers.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by J.Dre, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

Very nice concept design. Nissan expects vehicles like this to be available for purchase within 10-20 years. The full concept is actually designed and almost entirely functional, as presented in the video above. It was seen at the 2015 Tokyo auto show this past fall. Read more about this vehicle.

I, for one, find this to be absolutely incredible and am honored to be alive during these years of development, seeing the transformation of technology and how far it has come, not only in vehicular engineering, but with the Internet and everything else. But maybe that's just me. :p

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Eh, if anything I'd rather only use autonomous cars for the mundane travel I have (daily commute, mostly). For anything else, I'd much rather drive myself. Still, neat technology.

3. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    I think autonomous cars have a place, but it really isn't the solution to congestion some people are making it out to be.

Yes, a self-driving car could in theory predict the best way to your destination and they could work together to try and avoid congestion on certain routes, but at the end of the day, 50 people in 50 cars vs 50 people on a bus/train is still congestion no matter how efficient said 50 cars are.

Jarhead likes this.
  4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I'd be ok with an automated car, if I could drink and ride. :D

KPot2004 likes this.
  5. J.Dre

Reputations:
    It will never be perfect until 100% of vehicles on the road - and all traffic systems - are controlled by some form of AI.

But yes, they do have a place. Imagine no more issue with "drunk driving." No more kids dying in accidents because of texting or speeding. (No more speeding because the vehicle will disallow users to exceed street limits.) No more "falling asleep at the wheel" and crashing, etc. the list goes on. I'd say it will be year 2050-2100 before we have 100% of all vehicles autonomous. Hell, the government may make regular vehicles illegal to drive one day. :p

Nonetheless, it's very neat to see the development of these future technologies. Now we just have to worry about hackers.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  6. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm glad I'm getting older, because I would never want one of these. I love the roar of a big V8 and having all the power under my control. Too many nannies already on modern vehicles.

booboo12 and hmscott like this.
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    You know what? I'm perfectly fine with idiots taking themselves out of the gene pool. The only problem then would be with anyone caught between these dumba**es and their end.

Considering how little IoT engineers care about security, I don't have high hopes for good car security for a long time...

8. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Oh it's great technology, but the biggest "hurdle" IMO is that for autonomous cars to really be their most effective, like you said, they need 100% adoption rate; it's an "all or nothing" type of deal.

I think it was Google or some other company that was working on autonomous driving and were running some tests. They had this car that would stop at a stop sign, detect who had arrived first, waited for the people who arrived before it to stop and go, then it would go. The issue? Most drivers in that test intersection were doing rolling stops, so the car never registered them as "stopped" and it never moved.

The above example is funny, but shows that the main obstacle the computer has is really other people. It can react to people yes, but the root of the problem doesn't get solved aka other drivers. Until you have 100% adoption rate, the autonomous cars cannot operate at maximum efficiency in terms of their benefits on a larger scale and there will be many people opposed to having/using autonomous cars (me included). If I didn't want to drive, I'd just take a taxi/Uber or public transit.

Also, there's the usual debate of "if for some reason the car loses traction and is heading towards a group of people, should it choose to kill the driver and save the group?". It's the same kind of debate that arises with most AI development.

Also this comic applies... lol :p

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Ah, completely forgot about the utilitarian issue there, Melody. Will have to read up on what philosophers have to say on that in my free time...

10. J.Dre

Reputations:
    If it were headed toward a group, why would the driver randomly die? o_O And why wouldn't the AI avoid the group or simply stop the vehicle?

You'll never be put in vehicular situation where death is the only option. Injury? Maybe. I imagine the AI will cycle through millions of outcomes per second to determine the least harmful decision or course of action to take in order to protect pedestrian(s) and driver(s) alike.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.