Full Speed 9980HK With No Throttling! New M15 R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by littlezipp, Oct 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Haven’t the link in front of me. But Intel themselves recommends cooling as I mentioned in link above. Now it’s more up to the manufacturers where they want put the power limits (stated by Intel). Can’t create cooling for the lower 45w(1.25 pl2) if the Notebook manufactures prefer let 8750h stick at 55/58w for PL1 and run wild on short power in their flashy gamingbooks. This for locked down chips. Same for unlocked BGA Chips... They put limits way above 120W and give a damn in their cheaply made cooling.

This isn’t so difficult. If they can’t (due chassis limits) or can’t afford a cooling for etc 100W then cap power around own coolers capacity. But competition between the different brands make them lose their heads and prefer 100C and throttling mess.

Edit. See also https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenBook-14-UM431DA-With-a-slowed-down-AMD-CPU.453726.0.html
    “Time and again, laptop manufacturers equip their devices with up-to-date CPUs without adapting the system to the requirements of the new hardware”

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...eing-worse-than-its-predecessor.453861.0.html
    “Additionally, the X1 Extreme Gen 2 has quieter fans than its predecessor, especially under load. However, Lenovo has stuck with the same cooling system, so performance suffers as a result”

Doesn’t matter what chips it is if they prefer go cheap or don’t bother make awesome!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Intel shares reference heatsink designs for what would be sufficient for cooling. Even their own reference design Mag15 cant hold the boost clocks for long. WIth just the 45watts recommend power they never reach the advertised speeds which Intel writes on their boxes. The advertised max boost clocks for all cores never can be met in most laptops out there fo rlonger than a couple of seconds even though they follow Intel's directions. WHen they do force it to go higher, they also will run more hot.

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How much does the MAG-15 get for a 6-core boost after 10 minutes of full load? Intel's specifications state it should 4.00 GHz.

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In prime95 it doesnt even touch the 3ghz. 6core boost in games tend to be around 3.6ghz from my experience. Same as the Blade 15.

5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well yeah, that's prime95, I wouldn't expect it to boost too high. Even my old 6950X barely touches 4.0 GHz in a 10 minute 4K torture test and struggles at 95C.

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The quadcore skylakes would just keep boosting. with a mild undervolt and would sit around 65~75c (depending if you had a bit of a decent laptop ofcourse). the 3.4ghz boostclocks of the 7700HQ would just sit around the 45watt limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.