Full Speed 9980HK With No Throttling! New M15 R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by littlezipp, Oct 4, 2019.

1. littlezipp

littlezipp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Posted this in another section and thought I'd share here as well. Bought an M15 R2 that was delivered in September but setup a return since I could never get the thermals consistent. Dell persuaded me to try another system and I'm glad I did. In the other sub forum the effectiveness of the 9980HK was in question and called out by Notebookcheck. They specifically stated the 9980H beat all 9980HK's that have come across for reviews, until now...

Results of 30x runs of Cinebench R15 ran automatically in a loop - took me awhile to figure out but I was successful:

Score average - 1842.7 (can go much higher on single run but throttling will occur on later tests leading to lower average)
    Average Core Frequency - 4.45 GHz
    Average Package TDP - 121w
    Max temp - 89c
    Liquid Metal - absolutely
    # of times thermal throttled = 0

From Notebookcheck article:
    "We should note that our MSI in this example is the fastest laptop in our database with the i9-9880H processor. Other laptops with the i9-9880H like the HP Omen 15 may perform slower than the i9-9980HK. Still, the fact that almost no i9-9980HK laptop thus far can outperform the MSI is a slap in the face to Intel's top-of-the-line mobile Core i9 option. We're still waiting for that one Core i9-9980HK laptop to hopefully break this trend."

The MSI has been beaten, losing by 14% while weighing 23% more...

9880H vs 9980HK.jpg 30 Run Temp Readout.jpg 30 Run Scores.jpg

DaMafiaGamer, c69k and alaskajoel like this.
  2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Playing the devils advocate, those systems tested all run stock paste with no undervolt.

MogRules, Darkhan and etern4l like this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you test with
    CB20 and post Hwinfo CPU Package power numbers? Cb15 is much less demanding, and TDP is the limit, not the consumed power.

4. littlezipp

Reputations:
    15x Cinebench R20, 30x would take a long time since it's over a minute a run.

CPU-Z, HWInfo, XTU, and notepad output below.

Haven't calculated the score average, but the final run was 4324.

Little warmer today here in California, so laptop was on a cooling pad with fans running.

R20 15x.jpg

c69k and etern4l like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I see the clocks dropped to 4.19 with less Cpu Package Power vs. your previous test with CBR-15. Any reason for this? Can't be Thermal throttling if temp stay in the 80th's. Is it AVX negative offset?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    DaMafiaGamer, Darkhan and etern4l like this.
  6. littlezipp

Reputations:
    Wondered the same thing and ran a R15 run right after the R20 test. Went right to 4.45 ghz. No idea why there is a difference, was pleased with the temps though!

Papusan likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    From what I can see... You have put 50x on all cores but the clocks stay at 4.45GHz in CBR-15. It seems the chips is unable to utlize the whole PL1 and PL2 power headroom. Because the chips should be able to take what it need to hold highest possible clock speed as long it's below thermal throttling temp. Is it a hided Power Cap?
    upload_2019-10-10_5-41-58.png

8. littlezipp

Reputations:
    It might be the 140A setting. Volts x Amps = Watts.

I briefly played with the amps initially and found decreased performance past 140A, but I’ll take a look at it a little more tomorrow.

9. littlezipp

Reputations:
    c69k likes this.
  10. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @littlezipp I'm very impressed with your cpu, quite frankly I never thought an alienware laptop THAT THIN could pull of these amazing results, kudos to you (+rep)

For comparison here is my 11th Cinebench R15 run out of 20 that I did consecutively on the 9880H CPU: (This benchmark is run with the lowest scoring laptop on the chart, HP Omen 17 2019, RTX 2080 :D)

[​IMG]

I did manage to pull off 1741cb as a max score out of all runs taken, but that's not the average...

Temps were reasonable as I spent 3 hours lapping the damn heatsink before applying liquid metal, fans 100% throughout the tests.

Damn I can get close, but with good cooling your laptop cpu could frankly clock higher as it's unlocked, but would the vrms handle it that's the question :D

littlezipp likes this.