Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Xi 1546 (Ultimate Retro Machine)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by vorob, Mar 23, 2020.

1. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Soooooo... In pursuit of a perfect old laptop, I bought for 20$ this machine.

Code:
    Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5600 (2M Cache, 1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB)
    GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon X1800 (12 Pixel / 6 Vertex; 256Mb DDR3; 256Bit) (8.371.0.0)
    Display: 17.1 inch 16:10, 1440 x 900 pixel (Samsung LTN170X2-L02)
    Chipset: Intel 945PM (Calistoga-PM) + ICH7-M/U
    Storage: HDD 500Gb, Western Digital, 5400rpm (WDC WD5000BEVT-00A0RT0)
    Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    Ethernet: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    RAM: 2Gb 333 MHz (DDR2-666)
    Audio: Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio
    Connectivity: 4 x USB 2.01 x IEEE 1394 (i.LINK, FireWire)1 x ExpressCard
    Dimension: W x D x H / 407 x 295 x 42
    ATI X1*** series is the last GPU that supports old windows games properly. I've got several questions on this machine if there is anyone alive who saw this PC.

- There are no GPU temperature sensor, right? Why?
    - Any way to control fan other than via NHC? Don't wanna buy deprecated software :(
    - I don't understand how thermal tubes work here, my GPU and CPU are hot, but when I touch copper near cooler it's not that hot, I thought these tube transfer hear immediately. Maybe this model had some known defects on tubes?
    - GPU death is a common thing here or not?
    - Any place where I can find spare parts for it?

2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Spare parts most likely will be only available used on eBay.

If you say that the heatsink isn't all that hot near the fins, its expected to be cooler on the finned area.

Start by a full teardown, clean everything, repaste, clean the fan impeller and maybe add a drop of oil into the shaft/bushing of the fan given its age.
    Test you GPU with some benchmark program, to check that its working, lots of old GPU's have defects on the solder between the IC itself and the carrier that causes then to malfunction after years of thermal cycling.

3. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ye, already found speakers and second-hdd cable, things I'm interested in. And they cost 35USD together, lol.

Surprisingly video card in this laptop is alive, with no memory errors and so on. And that's strange cause fan and cooling system was completely blocked by dust. Plus the previous owner was a heavy smoker, so it was a mess inside.