Fujitsu Lifebook A555G or Dell Inspiron 5558

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Pranalien, Sep 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pranalien

Pranalien Notebook Veteran

Reputations:
    As my 5 year old Sony Vaio VPCEB36FG is starting to give me perennial heat problems and recently I spent another 400 rupees to get it cleaned , I am constantly haunted by a fear about the cost of replacement spares since Vaio was sold off in 2014 by Sony. So there I went on another laptop hunting spree and finally zeroed on these:
    Fujitsu Lifebook A555G:
    Intel i5-5200U, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 TB HDD, 2 GB AMD Radeon R7 260M, 15.6 inch Full HD(1920 X1080),no OS, 3 years warranty, Price: Indian Rupees 65000/-

Dell Inspiron 5558:
    Intel i5-5200U, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, 2GB Nvidia GeForce 920M, 15.6 inch HD(1366 x 768), Win 8.1, 3 years warranty, Price: Indian Rupees 55000/-

Thats nearly 10,000 rupees difference for the Fujitsu. My list of Laptops include the following:
    2005-Toshiba Satellite(motherboard fried)
    2007-HP Pavilion(motherboard fried 4 times, HP denied laptop replacement, was told offer valid only in USA)
    2010-Sony Vaio(most reliable out of my 3 laptops)

What are your suggestion folks? Heart says Fujitsu but mind says Dell.

2. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Fujitsu is worth your money. Business Class reliability, and superb support and warranty. And easier to maintain and to upgrade. Fujitsu LifeBooks beat out any consumer machine on longevity.

Pranalien likes this.
  3. Pranalien

Reputations:
    Fujitsu is having their channel partner in New Delhi who will ship the notebook to any location in India. However they charge courier fee from 500 rupees to 800 rupees. When I mailed them yesterday how come Dell Inspiron 5558 with same features are available at much lower price, the Managing Director mailed me this

4. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Indeed. You get what you pay for. To get a Dell with anything like Fujitsu quality, you need a Latitude 5000 or higher or a Precision. Fujitsu is worth the money. Dell Inspiron is low end consumer grade Dell. No better than what you owned from HP.

Pranalien likes this.
  5. Pranalien

Reputations:
    Just now got a mail from Fujitsu's Channel Partner in New Delhi. They gave me the quote
    So now they have provided with a revised quote with 4GB RAM and 1 year standard warranty.
    Problem is I am not very clear about Fujitsu's repair and service policy as there are no Fujitsu authorised repair centres near my place. I have shot off a mail to them seeking the details. Secondly delivery time is 4 weeks which means the product will be imported from Germany only after receiving 100% advance payment.:vbbiggrin:

6. Pranalien

Reputations:
    They reverted back and informed me that Fujitsu has next day service policy in my place and they have tied up with leading IT services providers Wipro and HCL in India. Looks safe and good to me.

7. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Indeed. Go for it. Fujitsu makes solid laptops. Looks like your support options are good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.