FSB downclock mod on the intel GL960 and GL40 --- useful info for PLL Modders

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by naton, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    As far as I know no one has tried the mod on a Lenovo laptop. Do you mind trying it and let us know if it works.

Edit:
    Try with a T4200 first. This CPU is cheap. It it works you'll know that you can go up all he way to a T9900 :)

2. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. apostmax

apostmax Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guyz,

nice to meet you all here! I have been watching NBR forums for quite a while and I have indeed found a lot of useful information!

So to the point now, I tried the downclock pin mod without success on a HP G7000 (GL960) laptop. The laptop was originally runing a T2370 (if I remember well) which I replaced with a T4200. T4200 runs perfectly fine and is quite cooler than the original cpu, however my ultimate goal is of course to run a X9100 to max the machine out!

Before making this step though (i.e. spending around $200 on a X9100) I decided to check whether my T4200 could be downclocked (and therefore creating very high expectations that a X9100 could be downclocked and run as well. After using a very thin IDE cable to short-circuit the necessary pin-holes the system POSTs ok and enters the BIOS (on its own - without pressing F10) where everything seems to work fine except the fact that if I exit (either saving any changes or not) after rebooting I get back to its main screen and cannot proceed to OS boot.

What do you think could the problem be? The BIOS is flashed with the very latest version (which was issued in 2010!!) modded to remove the whitelist and add SLIC. Just to eliminate any chances of short-circuit with other pins at the cpu bottom I tried both insulated and bare cables resulting into the same effect.

Any advice is very much appreciated, thanks for your time and I hope that we will manage to reach a solution because I really want to take the most out of this laptop and make it viable for a much longer time!

EDIT: I also tried the downclock mod with the T2370 getting the same results

4. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not entirely sure as I don't have a laptop like your at hand to play with. That said, I know something for sure. The GL960 doesn't work well on HP laptops. For instance. I had failed to upgrade an HP 6720 from a Celeron to a Dual Core. After a lot of investigation I found out that HP made two motherboards for this laptop, one for Celeron (with the GL960) and one for Dual Core CPU.

What is the FSB when the T4200 is installed in the laptop? Is it 800MHz? Does the T4200 operate at its full speed? or is it downcloked?

You cannot downclock the T2370. This CPU is set with an FSB of 533 which is the minimum supported by the GL960. So you can't go with it any lower than 1.73GHz.

5. apostmax

apostmax Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey naton,

thanks for your quick response! you are one of the people here at NBR that I honestly respect!

So, this is embarrassing but I finally figured it out! It was the HDD! Oh yes!
    Apparently, in order to skip opening and closing the laptop after every test I left it open without any drives on it.. and probably the bios wouldn't be able to proceed and kept doing the same thing over and over again.. After inserting my HDD it booted perfectly!

To answer your question, the T4200 was working VERY smoothly before the supposed downclock mod and it eventually runs very well after the mod. I have to point out though that there was no substantial effect after doing this mod since it was supposed to downclock at 800 MHz which is the default for this CPU.. (or am I mistaken? I short-circuited the pin-holes indicated in the first pic of this thread)..

6. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The mod described in the first post will not do anything to the T4200 since this mod is designed to force FSB 800 and the T4200 default FSB is already 800MHz.

You can try to force FSB 667 which will make the T4200 behave as a low voltage CPU. With a bit of luck the temperature will be so low that the fan won't have to spin. For that you'll have to connect BSEL0 to a Vcc Pin.

7. apostmax

apostmax Newbie

Reputations:
    so my thought was correct. I would try the 667 FSB but actually I am currently exhausted (I probably dismantled the laptop around 30 times just today! haha)..

Anyway, I have just ordered a P7350 which I believe will give us a more conclusive result anyway as whether there is any chance for X9100 to run or not!

8. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree. In addition it is cheaper. Do keep me posted so I can add you experience to the successful ones. Which G7000 do you have exactly? Do you mind checking? there should be a sticker at the bottom of the laptop with its full name :)

Thanks

9. apostmax

apostmax Newbie

Reputations:
    I hope I will have the new cpu by next week and of course I will let you know.

The laptop is a HP F7060EV (chipset GL960 as said before; bios F.35 03/29/2010 modded)

Thanks for your interest ;)

10. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is a small error in the OP. The 5720G is PM965, not GM965. (GM965 is used in the regular 5720, without MXM.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.