FSB downclock mod on the intel GL960 and GL40 --- useful info for PLL Modders

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by naton, Aug 21, 2011.

1. videogame57

videogame57 Newbie

Reputations:
    I already have a bunch of upgraded parts for the D830 that will transfer to the E6500 (1920x1200 panel, 8GB DDR2, upgraded WiFi card in a M.2 to mPCIe adapter), and it's a very similar laptop to what I'm familiar with and fond of with almost no downsides coming from a D830. I have a pretty limited budget for school so I wanted to go to a Core 2 Quad to eliminate any issues with video playback.

As for the 8510p, I'll have to ask him more about it, it was a few years ago, but I think he may have had a modded BIOS, I'm not sure. But I know for sure he had no hardware mods.

2. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, if you install a Quad, videos should start playing flawlessly.
    Yes, ask him please.
    I know for sure that without powering up the other 2 cores, fully running quad is not possible. But I'm very curious about his mod.

3. remdale

Reputations:
    Any news?

4. videogame57

videogame57 Newbie

Reputations:
    He says he was probably remembering wrong and that it was actually just a high end Duo.

Also, I got the E6500, flashed the latest BIOS, and installed the QX9300 and I have an issue. In the BIOS it shows 4 cores, but in Windows I only have 2 cores and half the cache available. The E6500 never officially shipped with a Core 2 Quad, but it's sister laptop the Precision M4400 did, and is identical aside from better GPU options.

5. remdale

Reputations:
    I told you:)

Because the other 2 cores are disabled. As I have just found out, there are 2 versions of E6500. With built-in Intel graphics and the other one hosts Nvidia (which is M4400 sister board as you are saying). The former board has GTLREF_2 not connected, so only duals can work. In the latter case, quads should work fine.
    So I guess your board has just Intel graphics. If so, you will have to do the mod.