FSB downclock mod on the intel GL960 and GL40 --- useful info for PLL Modders

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by naton, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Silko

Silko Newbie

Reputations:
    Why i buy 1066 RAM? my ram is 1333Mhz only, my problem is working so 800mhz I tried modifying my clock rate and not working

2. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just found it
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/5l3a9jsya8v9y55/Acer+Extensa+5235+5635+(Quanta+ZR6).pdf
    Do you know how to read schematics?
    Open the file with a PDF reader and search for R244 at page 2 (left bottom corner).
    [​IMG]
    You need to find this resistor on the board and remove it. Then find the closest source of VCC_CORE and link it to just 1 contact pad of R244 that is closer to GL40 to provide VCC_CORE for the CPU_BSEL1 pin of GL40.
    Ok, I can see it now. No need to buy extra RAM.
    I was trying to follow JEDEC standards, so I flashed RAM for CL6 as it is working at 443MHz now, but something (BIOS or Chipset) is forcing RAM to work at CL5 anyway. Have not tried flashing lower values though.

EDIT: My RAM is DDR2-800

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  3. videogame57

videogame57 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Dell Latitude D830 (GM965), and a QX9300 on the way. I currently have a T9300 and 2x4GB DDR2-800. Can you go in to a bit more detail on what pin you modified on the chipset?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  4. remdale

Reputations:
    I hope you have its schematics already
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ek2bw86cldal21a/Dell_Latitude_D830_%28Quanta_JM7%29.pdf/file
    First of all, your case is very difficult. BSEL1 pins are most likely internally connected between the CPU socket, GM965 and the clock generator. You need to isolate the BSEL1 pin on the CPU, so you have to mod the socket or remove the pin from the CPU, but you will not be able to sell it in future if you don't solder it back. If the BSEL1 pin of the socket is not wired out on the other side of the board, you will have to pull up VCC_CORE to that pin to emulate 800 FSB for the chipset and then attach VCC_CORE to GTLREF_2. Here's how it should be done http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...s-lounge-part-2.515212/page-996#post-10885403
    Moreover, you will have to edit APIC table in BIOS. Are you ok with that?:rolleyes:

5. videogame57

videogame57 Newbie

Reputations:
    This is meant to be a permanent upgrade so I'll likely go the route of removing the pin as that sounds least likely to end up damaging the motherboard. Hopefully I don't break the CPU.

I don't know how to edit APIC tables, so I guess I'll add that to things I need to learn before my CPU arrives, cause I already ordered it before I posted.

I'm experienced with soldering but this is all completely new to me so I hope I'm not burdening you too much.

I've been putting off taking my motherboard completely out but I might do that today since it's never been cleaned under there in over 10 years, I'll look for the socket pins on the other side but I don't know the pinout so I'm not sure which one is BSEL1.

Edit: I took high resolution photos of the board on both sides, particularily the areas around the socket, chipset, and clock generator. I will attach them as soon as I can.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  6. remdale

Reputations:
    Alright. But I don't guarantee it will work out. I couldn't finish the QX9300 mod just due to the lack of time. But currently I'm stuck at editing ACPI tables, because the mod that worked out for Lenovo T61 doesn't work for me. So I need to find out the reason and fix that.
    I hope you are good at reading schematics.
    Here's a datasheet for QX9300 http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/612/intel corporation_320390-552368.pdf
    You can find the BSEL1 (B23) pin at page 41
    upload_2019-7-22_4-48-15.png
    When conducting the wire between the socket holes, make sure that the wire doesn't short any other pin in the socket. After finishing the socket mod you need to figure out if the CPU works fine at 1066. It can be done even before attaching VCC_CORE to GTLREF_2. But first you need to disable multicore processing mode in BIOS if possible or use a 1066 dual core CPU instead.
    If it goes well, then keep going with GTLREF_2 and ACPI tables.
    I think your BIOS can be decomposed with Phoenixtool. First, find your APIC table by searching for "APIC" through the set of the decomposed files in the DUMP folder that will be created right after opening the BIOS file with that tool. Then download iasl from here https://acpica.org/sites/acpica/files/iasl-win-20151218.zip
    You need iasl.exe. Start the command line, input iasl and then specify the file that you have found. Finally, you will get a .dsl file that you will be able to read. Find "Processor Local APIC" and "Local APIC NMI". They have to be 4 of each instead of just 2. Those are the parameters responsible for CPU cores. The difference between each of them is "Processor ID" and "Local APIC ID" parameters. But you will have to edit the file in a hex editor after you understand what to edit and how.
    This is a serious mod, so I can try to help you if you get stuck somewhere.
    You need a flash programmer just in case you mess up with BIOS

7. videogame57

videogame57 Newbie

Reputations:
    Here's the pictures if it's useful https://mega.nz/#!TAVA2Q6b!cLjD1yDOoGrNf-fPAQffsj5UOiFRNIh3uC2-ws15EEg

Thanks for the help, I didn't even think this was possible until I found this thread but all the original images are dead. I've seen reports of success with a D630 and D830 which gives some confidence.

Something else interesting I've seen reports that later revision chipsets in addition to accepting 8GB of RAM (which mine does), will also boot with 1066MHz CPUs without modification (although it wasn't clear if the CPU actually ran properly, it was implied that it did). So definitely the first thing I will try before making a mess is installing the CPU as-is when it arrives and seeing what happens.

8. remdale

Reputations:
    According to the datasheet of 965 chipsets (page 225), it won't start.
    upload_2019-7-22_6-26-2.png
    So you need to do the mod. But of course you are free to try the CPU out as it is.
    Unfortunately, I cannot use your picture in this case. You should take a multimeter and figure out if the BSEL1 pin is wired out on the other side of the board right under the socket. Let's hope for good

9. videogame57

videogame57 Newbie

Reputations:
    With how complicated this is sounding, I might end up buying a Latitude E6500 if this doesn't just work. It has a GM45 chipset and supports 1066MHz FSB CPUs natively, though it's not listed to support Core 2 Quads. It also retains almost all the desirable features I am still using this D830 because of (16:10 15.4" display, good keyboard/layout, loses dual batteries, but has LED backlit displays and a keyboard backlight).

I'm still holding out that it might actually just work because I've heard multiple reports of the later revision 965 chipsets being capable of things they are explicitly listed not to be on spec sheets. Mine boots with 8GB of RAM which is clearly above the stated maximum of 4GB, and I have a friend with an HP 8510p with a PM965 chipset he installed a Core 2 Quad in without any modification (not sure which SKU but there's only 3 AFAIK).

10. remdale

Reputations:
    If you read the datasheet for 965 chipsets, you could understand why it supports 8GB of RAM. In actuality, the memory controller can address up to 64GB of RAM according to the information pointed at page 43. But at the same time, having a 2-channel interface it supports only 1 SO-DIMM connector and 2 ranks per channel (2 SO-DIMMs and 4 memory ranks in total) (page 65). With this configuration and due to the fact that there are just 2Gbit RAM chips on the market, the maximum possible memory support is 8GB. But not only that. If there were true 4Gbit DDR2 RAM chips, they would have 1 more address line and that would require the chipset to have it too. Therefore, the maximum RAM support is limited to 8GB.
    At the time of posting the information about the chipset, most likely there were no 4GB memory modules that had been manufactured. So Intel stated the maximum RAM you could install was 4GB.

So you prefer 16:10? Why Core 2 platform?

Could you please tell me more about that? I'm using almost the same platform. BIOS in my HP HDX9000 is based on the 8510 BIOS and it's using PM965 too.