FSB downclock mod on the intel GL960 and GL40 --- useful info for PLL Modders

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by naton, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    What?
    You have gm45. This thread is about gl40, gl960 and pm965 based chipsets with 800mhz FSB...

2. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If I understand correctly, what you want to do is increase the FSB in your laptop. Right?
    This wont work because:
    1- You have an Intel chipset, and Intel chipsets forces the CPU to lock in its lowest multiplier when the BSEL mod is applied to increase the FSB.
    2- We don't know if the GM45 supports anything above FSB 1066MHz (e.g. 1333MHz).

The P9600 is a cool CPU, but with the mod you can make it even cooler :D. If you apply the mod as explained in the first post your CPU maximum speed will drop to 2GHz. That would reduce the heat dissipation and power consumption of your laptop considerably. If you undervolt after the mod (RMclock or ThrottleStop) you might end up with a fan less system like rannyfash with his P7350.

3. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I tried a bsel mod on an SP9400 to try to get it to run at 1333MHz, fsb still ran at 1066.

4. TwiztidKidd

TwiztidKidd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe it failed because of the RAM. The newer RAM runs cooler and doesn't take as much power as older RAM. That's the only reason people with 4Gb max RAM systems are now able to install 8Gb. When you try to BSEL MOD it you want to bring up to speed both CPU and RAM.

Yes, I want to make it faster and noisier not slower and quiet (fanless, the GPU will start freaking out because they're on the same heatpipe).

I'd like to keep the 1:2 FSB to DRAM ratio. The RAM apparently can do more (it says 609 Mhz) but only if the CPU would too.
    On DDR2 I think once you reach 400Mhz it's over, that'll be like top speed. So that's inconvenient for your project.

5. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What makes you think that the RAM is stopping you from successfully going from FSB 1066 to 1333?
    What happen when you do the mod? Can you switch your laptop ON? Can it load Windows? Does it crash with a BSOD?

There is no relationship between the amount of RAM hat can be installed in a system and the operating temperature and operating voltage of the RAM. The maximum amount of RAM that can be installed on a laptop depends on the following:
    1- The maximum amount of RAM that can be detected by the BIOS.
    2- The maximum amount of RAM that can be addressed by the chipset.
    3- The operating system (not as important as the BIOS and chipset).

The speed of the RAM increase because it is function of the FSB too.

Okay.

Some BIOS are intelligent enough and would select the right multiplier so that the RAM doesn't overclock. When the BIOS is not clever, there are two methods to force it to select a different FSB/VRAM divider.

1- Install a PC3-6400 RAM in one of the two memory slots and the PC3-8500 in the other.
    2- If you can flash your RAM, use SPDtool or ThaiphoonBurner to flash your PC3-8500 RAM and make it behave as PC3-6400 RAM.

Either methods will force the BIOS to set an FSB/DRAM multiplier to 3:5 instead of 1:2. This would make the RAM operate at 555MHz instead of 667MHz after the BSEL mod. 555MHz is closed to your RAM native speed of 533MHz and will solve the instability issue.

6. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have some doubts that 1066 to 1333 will work. I think the GM45 maximum is 1066.

7. TwiztidKidd

TwiztidKidd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just noticed the thread is about dropping the FSB from 1066 to 800, I thought it was the other way around. My apologies, I will retire from this... and best of luck!

8. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, I only tried it out of curiosity. Didn't expect it to work.

9. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't think anyone would mind if you stick around since the BSEL mod ultimate goal is to boost a CPU performance. The GL40, GL960, GM965 and PM965 do not support Core 2 Duo processors that have a native FSB of 1066. Doing the BSEL mod from 1066 to 800 can help make those processors work with these chipsets. If the mod works one can up the FSB back to 1066 or close to 1066 with the PLL mod.

Even if the BSEL mod from 1066 to 1333 works with the GM45 you'll still end up with a CPU locked at multiplier x6. What I'm trying to say is that this mod is not the best for you since you want to overclock. Did you try to increase your FSB with a software like SetFSB?

10. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    I have FSB overclocked pm45 to 1333mhz before, but I think that was just because of the PLL.

Something of interest I found was that I could overclock an 800mhz FSB CPU to 1066mhz on pm45 with setFSB. Even if your PLL is not supported, you could potentially just record the bytes in the registers for normal operation and then use an 800mhz FSB CPU and overclock it to normal FSB on pm45.

The t6*00 series is good for this. My t6600 would run at 2.9ghz with no voltmods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.