FS: Lenovo ThinkPad T500 Parts P9500 WSXGA+ DVDRW

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Commander Wolf, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kobe_24

kobe_24 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's a shame to see that ThinkPad like that, just because of a SVP. This sort of thing can happen when you buy a ThinkPad second hand. The computer is fully functional, until you have to enter the bios for any reason. Then you realize you have a SVP. If it were just a POP, then removing the CRC battery would have solved the problem. But since the password is stored in the erasable programmable read-only memory (eprom), there is more to it. So if you do buy a used ThinkPad, make sure it can enter the bios with no problems and that the owner provides all PWs or remove them.

With that said...there is a way to remove that SVP instead of just giving away your fully functional notebook.

2. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    A friend and I bought this cheap as a fixer-upper. It was kind of a gut buy; we just wrongly assumed the warranty would take care of the SVP. We ran the numbers and decided it wasn't worth the time or money to buy an EEPROM reader/used board.

And yes, we've confirmed that there's an SVP and not just a POP.

Will contact Mark, though; I would like to know if this is Lenovo's official policy or if all these people are just giving me the runaround.

3. kobe_24

kobe_24 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lenovo views this as user error, and you would have to pay for a mobo fix. You could have just said the computer does not bootup, and maybe you could have got the mobo replaced without mentioning it was locked.:)

4. Commander Wolf

Reputations:
    Hey man, I promise, parting it out is like plan Z. I tried passing it off to the repair place as "doesn't boot", I tried debating with the guys at the mail-in place, I tried looking for a cheap replacement board... it's just not that easy. I mean, if you've got something that I haven't tried, I'm all ears, but I don't really have the time to keep messing with this thing; I just want it off my hands.

5. Commander Wolf

Reputations:
  6. DRAKE LANE

DRAKE LANE Newbie

Reputations:
    i am interested in buying your ultra bay slim and keyboard. please respond back if items are still available. thank you.

7. Commander Wolf

Reputations:
    Both the keyboard and DVD drive are still available. I'd PM you, but I don't think you have enough posts to use the system yet. Email me at commander_wolf at hotmail dot com if you're still interested, I suppose.

Also, the 6-Cell battery from this machine is also available. It has been tested and holds a charge charge according to the TP Power Manager software.

8. Commander Wolf

Reputations:
    P9500 sold.

9. Commander Wolf

Reputations:
    Another bump for this. The motherboard and heatsink have also been sold.

10. mattmcss

mattmcss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How much did you want for the extra battery?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.