FS: Dell Studio 15 (1535, 1536, 1537, and 1555) US Backlit Keyboards

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Mastershroom, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.rivera08

d.rivera08 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Shroom is indeed an awesome NBR member. Thanks to him, I've got an excellent IBM Optical mouse that I've been using everyday for the past few months :D.

Bump, hopefully you come across some more items that I can use :)

2. cygnusx

cygnusx Newbie

Reputations:
    I sent you a mail mastershroom (gmail)

3. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    Haha, about time. :p
    Good to see you're still having fun with that mouse. It served me well for years. ;)
    Awesome, I'll get back to you on that.

4. Status Flow

Status Flow Newbie

Reputations:
    I would be interested in the 1555 Backlit keyboard if I knew the procedures for putting a new keyboard on my brand new laptop :(

5. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    Here are Dell's own instructions on removing/replacing the 1555's keyboard, straight from their online Service Manual:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio1555/en/SM/keyboard.htm#wp1180346

It's a lot simpler than it looks. You just shut everything off, unplug the AC power and remove the battery, and remove the one Philips head screw inside the battery bay. Then, open the laptop as far as it will go and pop off the speaker cover/keyboard frame. It's just held on by plastic tabs, so you may have to bend it and force it a little bit.

Once you have the keyboard frame/speaker grill off, you can remove the two Philips head screws securing the keyboard, slide it up and out of the system, turn it upside down to unplug the data ribbon cable which connects it to the motherboard, and remove the keyboard.

Installing the new one is basically the same as removing the old one, but backwards. Keep in mind that when you plug in the ribbon cable for data, the backlit keyboard will have a smaller secondary cable, for power to the LEDs. Slide the keyboard into the tabs, secure it with the two screws, replace the frame/speaker grill and snap it into place, and replace the screw from the battery bay.

The backlit keyboard doesn't require any specific drivers or any extra software. The light settings are controlled by the F6 key, and you can use Dell's QuickSet software if you want to adjust how long the keys stay lit while idle (default is 30 seconds).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm just trying to win customers here. :p

6. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    The Studio 1555 backlit keyboard has been sold and shipped to jwromine. The 1535-1537 model keyboard is still available!

7. cooltex24

cooltex24 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok guys, I have not seen the backlit keyboards in person, and I am wondering what color the backlight is. And Mastershroom, put me down for the other one. Just email me where to send the paypal payment to.

Scott

8. rafucho

rafucho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    that's the spirit, do not lowball shroom, he's a great NBR'r

9. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    Whoops, I never updated this thread. I sold the 1535/1537 keyboard locally to a guy I know.

Anyway, the keyboard backlights are all white. A google image search of "Studio 15 backlit keyboard" will give you several results.

If you're still looking for one, try here:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=5656

Or if you're willing to get refurbished for slightly cheaper:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=5655

10. jrc_law51

jrc_law51 Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear Mastershroom: First, do you still have KB for Dell Studio 1537?

Regardless, would you be so kind as to email the replacement instructions.

I'm buying a 1527 for my wife, who has eyesight issues, and I was going to replace keyboard with the lighted one.

And, finally, I hope you didn't sell to the guy who was lowballing you! I hate that! I am able to get emails on this forum.

Thank you so very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.