Free Antivirus: Avira really better than Avast? I don't think so

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Phil, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can change the settings in avira to protect the config from unwanted termiation.

2. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    I've just checked this. Those settings are available but only work for limited user accounts.

So that is one advantage Avast has. But I do like the smaller footprint of Avira and the better detection rates.

I've now done a clean OS install and installed Avira. I got rid of the annoying popup, and if I am ever going to run a dangerous file, I will do it from a limited user account.

3. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I recently did a Vista reinstall so I decided to give Avira a try instead of Avast which I have used for several years now and liked.

So far so good with the basics, I love the clean interface. One of the biggest complaints was the time it took to do an update. Things must be getting better because it took 2 minutes to download and update the program files.

I can't say which has better protection yet because nothing has been found as a threat. I know Avast has warned me many times including a link one of our members posted to a website which Avast detected a trojan threat. That one was weird but I have not had any problems with Avast other than the resources it takes.

Someone had mentioned you can customize Avast and I never knew that. I will look into it if I decide to switch back to Avast. One nice thing about Avira is you don't have to enter a serial number to use the program unlike Avast but again that's just more of an inconvenience.

4. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It updates as fast as antivirus programs do. It updates in less than 30 secs for me.

5. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Same with me. Seems like it has sped up since my first update with it.

6. MaXimus

MaXimus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think they need to come up with a new version of Avira which contains newer virus definitions as the update takes ages on my 1 MB DSL. People on dial up will take forever!

And their manual update files.....well....everytime I try to update them manually it says the file is in use and cannot be updated...so I still have to do the regular slow update.

7. niGht kiD

niGht kiD .. beach boy ♫

Reputations:
    I'm using 1M ADSL too. It was really slow during the first few updates(manually). But now it has really speed up.

8. wojwoda

wojwoda GN-003 Gundam Kyrios

Reputations:
    Every antivirus/internet security software need first time a lot to download updates as you got overdated definitions.

9. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 Tetra Vaal

Reputations:
    Sorry to revive this thread but I wanted to point out for anyone reading it that a strong point made about Avast was that it has password protection, whereas Avira does not.

So I wanted to notify readers that Avira DOES have password protection now.

Configuration > Switch to "Expert Mode" > Expand "General"

you'll see an option for password protection, and you can choose which areas to password protect.

Please also note that I'm using Avira Premium, not Personal, and I don't know if this feature does exist in personal.

10. niGht kiD

niGht kiD .. beach boy ♫

Reputations:
    No, it doesn't.. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.