Free Antivirus: Avira really better than Avast? I don't think so

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Phil, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The only thing that crosses Avira off my list is the lack of email scanning-for someone who uses Outlook for e-mail, that's important and it's the reason why I'm still on AVG

2. scythie

scythie I died for your sins.

Reputations:
    http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm Works for me.

Could you tell me then what this is?

[​IMG]

Anyway, I first used Avast! when I got my laptop. But it failed me when I tried to clean my infected USB drive. The virus hit my computer -- and not only did avast not detect it, couldn't clean it up either [of course how can it clean something it has not detected? Duh]. Fortunately it was a minor virus and it was easy to manually destroy.

Then I switched to Avira. Wow. The virus in my infected memory card was immediately blocked as I plugged it in. Same with my USB drive.

I like Avira for having that automatic action function -- when I scan, it automatically does the action I set it to do when it detects something. Quite nifty. What I do miss with Avast! was the boot time scan.

Also, in my experience, Avast! is definitely tougher on resources than Avira. Whether it's booting up or opening a file or program, Avast definitely slowed my system down more than Avira. In fact, I don't notice Avira slowing down my system at all. Barely adds time to my boot up, and programs and files open almost instantaneously *hugs XP*

3. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On their site though, it says that you can only get that using an upgraded version of the program (either premium or the security suite) :confused:

EDIT: Went to the Avira forums to check-it appears that the section in the dialog box you displayed is for something else.

[​IMG]

4. KarenA

KarenA Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Either AVG or Avira, I forgot. Avast is the most resource extensive.

5. jin07

jin07 Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    scythie: That's so you can get email notifications from Avira. Here's what it says about email in the help file:

"Avira AntiVir Personal can send messages via email. This is done with the Simple Message Transfer Protocol (SMTP).

The messages can be triggered by various events. Transmission of emails is supported by the following modules:"

McGrady: Yes, Avira is the lightest on the resources.

However, it doesn't have as robust an active protection as avast or AVG. Then again, you can set Avira Guard to scan all files. This will allow your emails to be scanned after they have reached your computer (not for web based email clients like gmail). I've heard that using this setting can slow down your computer. I haven't tried it, so I cannot verify.

6. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not trying yo hijack the thread but I'm not looking for email scanning and other things. Just the basic AV scans, and protection I guess. When you install, does it have a checkbox of things you want installed? I will probably make a thread.

7. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Avira has better active protection than AVG and Avast (Antivirus). By default avira scans for smart extensions and that's almost equivalent to all files.

8. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Didn't you talk about having windows one care?

9. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yeah, i have it now. but its subscription. ends in a few months. im probably not going to buy it again when it ends so just getting some info on others in advance.

10. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    It's very easy to switch the spinning off in the settings.

The fact that Avira does not have password protection makes it weaker. It's very easy for a virus or trojan to disable an unprotected scanner.

Anyway, I am going to test both. Avast on my desktop and Avira on my portable. I' see which one I prefer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.