Frankinbook (My Pro Elitebooks 8570PB)

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Not-meee, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will start on assembly soon, now that the main components are in place. I decided on using a SATA 3D NAND drive as bootloader, apps, recovery, UEFI tools, and storage. But for now to burn in the mostly newly purchased and NOS components, the SATA drive will be the OS, until I modify for x4 PCI-e and placement for the NVME drive, for OS and working files.

As it stands, I may modify the bottom base to fit the M.2 adapter and NVME drive. The drive is thin and long enough to allow access for removal through a modified Smart Card slot while having a connection near the CPU. Even though it may look very clean within the confines of the notebook, it will not allow my speaker mod to coexist. The speaker mod housing fills that area completely.

In the age of BT, ear buds and remote speakers are common. If anything, internal speakers are more for system notification, rather than entertainment value. So its now a matter of weighing the benefits of faster storage, with dual drive options, over better internal speakers. Do I need to even contemplate the latter?

Still awaiting WANN components and other items or soldering and connections.

2. Not-meee

Reputations:
    While assembling, I measured up and found there is a way to mount the m.2 NVME to the system Board and have enough clearance to fit and allow connection to CPU, as explained in my previous update. Because it is mounted to the board, it will not be removable. No problem, just a pain to replace or upgrade if needed.

Problem, the speaker chamber must be removed to install a heat sink to the NVME and use the bottom base to sandwich as part of heat sinking process. I doubt the NVME will heat up, since it is running about 66% its maximum speed. I proved that with my Dell, on using a 980 pro instead of a 970 Evo Plus, for x2 interface.

Here is a picture of how it is mounted.
    [​IMG]

3. Not-meee

Reputations:
    Notr, in setting up the BIOS, I found the options are more advanced than thought. It appears that I have a QM77 system board. Until I make the system fully updated, I will verify with Intel driver and chipset feature security validation tool. BIOS has never been updated, so that will be done before all drivers are installed.

Spent some time in a slight mod to the botom base. There is a small section of wall, that touches the NVME just behind the zif ribbon cable connector. Now that it is removed the base cover is nicely fitted.

Finished with the assembly enough to install my free Windows 10 Pro, that was grandfathered from Windows 7 Pro COA key.

The new SATA 3D NAND is plenty fast enough to keep the system speedy enough for most all types of work.

The heat sink mod is doing well. Fan noise to a minimum, with less high speed kick ins. Pumps hot air well enough at low speed before need to step up. Most of the time it is Luke warm air, and this is with a 3740QM i7.

The UJ-272 will benefit greatly with Sony firmware, in upgrading from v1.0 to v1.05. Fairly the same in revision as in my past hack updates with base Panasonic to Sony.

Compaired to my upgraded G6, with similar spec 2nd gen CPU with a hard disk, I see now how much of a difference 3D NAND is in speed over my Barracuda hybrid hard drive.

The FHD display is a lot better than expected, without a single bad pixel. Screen angles are to be expected with such an outdated display, but much wider angle in viewing than most of the period, without the optional advanced displays used in work station notebooks.

It's going to be a big and beautiful beast when I am done. Probably toss my G6 as its a bit beat up from travels. One of the most durable cheapy laptops I ever came across. Even after droppage, hinges are as good as when it was new. Only the case mounts cracked, which was easily fixed, and is stronger than ever, with the right type of repair work done.

Any way, let the burn in begin!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 10:52 AM
  4. Not-meee

Reputations:
    I had some time to install a new updated BIOS and drivers, while buttoning up various applications that would come with the laptop.

Found out the 3D drive protection is not compatible with Windows 10. Besides who is running mechanical drives any more? Ha!

Removed the 3D protection application and removed the associated detected driver. I also disabled the accelerometer in device manager.

I replaced Cyberlink PDVD 12 with Cyberlink's Media Player 14, since it has a cleaner interface. Updated one of the media suite apps. Yet to find Power Directer to install.

Installed the Advanced Docking Station driver, to clear up all the hardware driver installs.

I have yet to pillage Microsoft Catalog Update for updated Windows 10 drivers that are mostly manual catalog installations, as they are not released through the automated Windows Update processs.

With everything mostly updated, the heatsink mod works very well. The only time I feel hot air, is in the short instances of 3/4 speed fan kick in. Which is for a short duration. Mostly its cool and quiet when just doing light to medium work. Installing updates mostly heated the NAND drive @ 55° C rather than heat up the laptop under ones hand. I will need to add a heat sink on the NAND storage drive, as it seems its heating up like the EVO.

The UJ-272 is very speedy, and fairly quiet at top speed spin-ups. Probably a bit more versatile than the OEM Blu-ray.

The old rule of thumb to boost Windows speeds with more RAM, is no longer. I left the original caching system alone. It obviously runs well enough with NAND devices on PATA6, without the need to go bonkers with RAM. 8GB runs smoothly and efficiently as if on a new system, with faster storage technology.

I really doubt, once I hack the system to run NVME, the bottle necks of RAM to storage will not be as noticeable, with limited ram or in doubling RAM. Unless you heavly multi-task. The built in caching stratagy and RAID abilites of the HM77 chipset won't do much good with the newer tech upgrades. HM77 had its day when storage was much slower and slower OS builds, now with faster storage, the HM76 chipset performs just as good, minus Vpro and enterprise management abilities.

Two setbacks actually. Because I undestood Widi is not part of HM75 architecture, I assumed I had a HM77 system board. As it seems USB 3.0 and WiDi are available, so it leaves the HM76 chipset to do the job. As explained from above, no real loss, as for comparing the two chipsets, performance wise, they perform the same with newer tech storage devices.

2nd bummer, is that I need to override EDID for the display panel. Its not an issue mostly, since that can be done manually through Windows registry.

Seems all but the 3D protection is fully functional at a hardware stand point. The display just needs an override, but functions none the less. Even though it's raw data throughput is not as fast as the new Dell, it should do far better than expected for video editing.

So far at the basics of Windows 10 setup, all seems functional for the years of tossed in a box to be binned. Shelf wear has made its mark on some parts, which are not all that noticable.

5. Not-meee

Reputations:
    After a wee waffle about the plus and neg side of adding a custom m.2 socket and to make things nicely integrated. My main concern is how everything but the m.2 socket is easy access. I did mention i can use the Smart Cart slot with some modification, so i set out once again on another option for easy m.2 device access.

Crossing fingers on this one...

I found another option in modifiying an Express Card tray and making a special caddy to allow insertion and ejection. A bit more elaborate than just an oversized SD Card slot.

Don't worry, i have added the critical parts with my other parts in one order, so there is no extra wait, other than on initial delivery.

It's holiday, so I am expecting late next week for stuff to roll in.

6. Not-meee

Reputations:
    Good news and bad news... found my issue with display. The LVDS cable i used did not belong. I realized when building parts to make a fully functional notebook, the display panel was from another model. Plus in finding out my circuit diagrams were for a different system board, I decided to disassemble my custom notebook to identify the cable, since HP used two different cables between the p and b series.

Going to scrounge around for a proper cable, and convert my existing cable, assuming a data channel has been swapped around between the connector ends, since two different designs. Oddly enough picture is full and that there are no issues other than resolution is limited.

While I at the LVDS cable issue, i will pull some extra antennas for 4x4 WiFi upgrades some time in the future. Make this bad boy a moble hotspot besides a laptop.

An odd thought popped up after posting my previous reply. I am possibley creating a M.2 Express x4 port. One way to combat not having Thrunderbolt, if not using it for storage.