Framework Laptop

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Nick, Jul 29, 2021.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh idk I'm more about price/perf then anything, mid range dgpu just for gaming is basically it. For an internet/cad machine something used for 500 or less is totally fine whether it's upgradable or not. Unless they do socketed stuff again I can't see upgradable being in my future in laptops. Pretty much everything out there has all the ports I need so port modules would not be anything I'd ever value much. These modular ports take up more room than just integrated on the mobo anyways. A good used laptop or new one in the same price range for 3-4 years as a primary is totally doable and preferred. For this 2060 15.6 I spent less than 750 new. Just make sure you buy only during holiday deals and you're good to go. I could see another tongfang variant bc they have options like mux switches etc decent pricing. Certainly no lower than 15.6" for home use and moderate travel use.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt™ is an Intel trademark, so presumably they can't mention Thunderbolt™ until it passes Thunderbolt™ certification.
    That quote was dated in April, so either there is a long queue to be certified, or problems were found. Which requirements might be difficult? (According to this page, Thunderbolt™ 4 certification requirements are recursive? o_O Or are those up-to-four connections between the dock and the laptop?)
    Some hope for eGPUs

3. hertzian56

Reputations:
    So you're saying from the quotes that it does have TB3 or TB4 support? If so then if that's important to you and paying the premium for this brand/concept then I guess it's recommended. Still the whole egpu thing seems very very niche to me. If you have a card you want to use laying around I guess but just looking at those egpu rig prices alone is a turnoff to me, ymmv. IMO if you go that route just get either a high 3070 level gaming laptop or a desktop, not much price difference nor space requirement difference things huge, especially if you don't have a GPU laying around. Razr Core X is like $400 new over 200 used. Don't need to mention new gpu prices right? 1200$ framework+600 gpu/egpu rig=1800$+ oof.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Linus is now an investor in the company. He's not sure what he will do going forward with regard to him personally covering laptops, but I still think that when a such a video appears on his network, whoever is presenting needs to disclose that he is a financial stakeholder in Framework. Maybe he doesn't legally need to go that far, but it would certainly give peace of mind to the audience.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  5. hertzian56

Reputations:
    It's good he did that, I don't follow his channel so don't know if he covered FM before this though. Seems to have a lot of people who put a lot of trust in his opinions.

6. MSB

MSB Newbie

Reputations:
    Purchased the Framework laptop and it arrived a couple days ago. So far the only hiccup was due to Windows 10 pro requiring a little work-around action to get a 2015 dell monitor drivers properly recognized. Other than that, no drama so far.

7. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    inm8#2 likes this.