Framework Laptop

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Nick, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Doesn't USB 4 with PD pretty much guarantee TB4 and that too with Intel 11th gen CPU which comes with TB4 support out of the box.
    If it doesn't ship TB4, then I'm like avg consumer who went in blindly to buy a shiny new modular laptop.

etern4l likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What's PD?

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    If I don’t see it in the documentation then I assume nothing. Might be worth reach out to them to find out for sure.

Power Delivery?

Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  4. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's all pretty confusing, even pcmag didn't mention usb4 but the manuf does. From what I found researching usb4 MAY have TB4 support but not necessarily? If they had a TB4 spec then it would have usb4 support but not vice versa in all cases. Have to confirm what usb4 means with the manuf.

"
    Here’s where it gets a little confusing. The USB4 spec doesn’t require Thunderbolt support, so you may find laptops and other devices with a simple USB4 port. The Thunderbolt 4 spec mandates the use of USB4, however, including its optional features. Laptops that include Thunderbolt 4 capability will therefore support USB4 by default. “We know that Thunderbolt 4.0 is basically USB4,” according to Jeff Ravencraft, the president and chief operating officer of the USB-IF, in an interview.

Put simply, you may see "USB4" peripherals referred to as "Thunderbolt 4" devices, instead!
    "

"But the assumption that USB4 would always include Thunderbolt is, according to the specification, not always true. The published spec makes it clear: It’s up to USB4 device makers to support Thunderbolt. "

https://www.pcworld.com/article/361...oducts-are-here-what-to-know-what-to-buy.html

From other research USB4 xxxDOESxxx MAY have TB3 support so you have that.

EDIT:

"While USB4 spec is based on Thunderbolt 3, support of interoperability with Thunderbolt 3 products is optional for USB4 hosts. That means a USB4 port won’t necessarily support all features of Thunderbolt 3 product."
    https://www.dignited.com/53093/usb4-vs-thunderbolt-3/

In either case I would think when they actually have modules available it would have a tb4 option there. Still for 750$ base if you're looking for TB eGPU that's another $200+ for the card plus some sort of rig for the card on top of that, oof.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Terreos and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    It is Power Delivery.
    Hmmm, with more things getting enabled/disabled on the fly through BIOS/firmware updates documentation for features included might change accordingly! But having a documented feature is better than plain marketing which I agree.
    This makes it more confusing since we don't know if the USB4 comes with TB4 and also proper certifications that complies with spec and works with all newer or backwards compatible with most dongles.

Terreos and etern4l like this.
  6. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    One would think all these review sites or people that got a unit for review would atleast test it to see if it has thunderbolt of some sort. Would just be nice to know.

Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  7. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Yeah I was browsing through the reviews and there's not been any mention of tb support at all, one did say they tried to plug in a tb3 peripheral but it wasn't accepted, they had to use hdmi for video out or some such but that's it. Have to even wait for real customers reviews I guess because for tb there's no real information available. If tb is really important for purchasing decision I would steer clear of this until it's clarified. They can cust costs in a hidden way pretty easily by cheaping out on the ports capabilities, just see my sdcard port which is only 25mbps ugh

Vasudev and Terreos like this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    You bought a retail unit?

9. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Huh? unless otherwise specified I'm always talking about computers in my signature. I think it's pretty clear on the chances of me ever getting a framework from this thread right?

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    That's why I asked since I was pretty sure you will skip this generation and wait how their model matures and only then buy a good PC with mid-range to pretty strong dGPU upgrades.

hertzian56 likes this.