Framework Laptop

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Nick, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One of the primary complaints enthusiasts on this forum have raised, repeatedly, is a clear lack of defined upgrade paths and essentially baked in obsolescence by virtue of the BGA soldered components, most notably the CPU and GPU. Framework is offering a laptop that still has a soldered CPU, but everything else is removable and replaceable. I see this as a move in the right direction and a working proof-of-concept that a thin, light, and affordable laptop can be constructed without inverted motherboards, soldered RAM, along with a chassis where everything can be easily disassembled for maintenance or upgrades.

Yes, time will tell if this catches on. I don't see it as a gimmick; it is a necessary step towards creating electronics that are not immediately going to be e-waste in a few years. Honestly, if my M17 had the option to replace the MB with an upgraded CPU/GPU combo for even half of what I spent on the whole unit, I'd probably jump on it. OEMs could create a market for this, but they'd rather we throw our $2-3K investments in the bin and buy the next best whatever every 5ish years or less. Framework is hopefully changing this business model but the degree of success will be entirely dependent on how well they do with this first offering.

Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The gpu is also non gaming soldered bga. The two major items are no different than any other soldered mobo, nuff said tbh. The framework mobo is most likely custom, so you can only get it from them. I mean they can charge whatever they want for an "upgraded" or replacement cpu/gpu mobo and it should be less than the whole laptop of course but then who does the surgery to install? you do probably, an mxm gpu and socket cpu is pretty easy for most people to do but a whole mobo? Oof no thanks. I guess it depends on how much replacability they design into it though, maybe it will be relatively easy to do, time will tell. I mean workstations of the Precision era like I had/have were basically totally upgradable and replaceable by default, it's just went backwards and I don't see it coming back in meaningful ways, this is not meaningful imo. Price/Perf is also terrible here.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Would you agree it as a step in the right direction though? If people don't support companies which take steps in the right direction, we will never get there.

Gumwars likes this.
  4. hertzian56

Reputations:
    I suppose but if you notice it's all kind of custom stuff, really only the largest corps would make much difference but they abandoned easily upgraded laptops obviously. You're tied to this one company for faux upgradability imo If it was a megacompany you'd get millions or more buying them then the second hand market would make it much more feasible afa price and open availability. But if they take off then it could get to that. I'm not against this that's for sure but see it as a gimmick cash grab at the current state of things. They need to work on a cheap desktop socket cpu imo and start there, and in the future some sort of removable dgpu.

etern4l likes this.
  5. Gumwars

Reputations:
    Not entirely correct. The laptop doesn't have a dGPU, it's has the integrated iGPU with the CPU. So, since the CPU is soldered, you are correct, but it doesn't have a separate soldered GPU. The unit does have TB4, which means eGPUs are an option, which is a good thing.

I'd beg to differ. iFixit gave the Framework a 10/10 for repairability. The laptop can be completely disassembled using the same bit driver. The entire thing is plastered with QR codes that take you directly to each item's purchase page. The whole thing is made to be easily taken apart and put back together again by anyone with basic tool skills. There isn't another laptop on the market right now that's made like this.

I highly recommend you checking out the iFixit teardown. Replacing the MB on this thing is probably way easier than repasting the CPU/GPU on an M17 R4 Alienware laptop. Even the display is easy to change out and in fact comes with different colored bezels for you to swap with.

Again, check out the teardown. This is a different laptop.

Vasudev, hertzian56 and etern4l like this.
  6. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Huh that does look cool, but my other points stand. For the price/perf it's just not worth it over a cheap, hard to tear apart laptop. I get it you're paying a premium for all that and that's fair but not cost effective. For me all the upgradeability on anything 17" or under 1080p is about the cpu/gpu and mostly gpu bc most games are gpu bound and can be pushed onto the gpu if you have dsr capability then hdmi to an external screen if you want native 2k+. TB output just seems crazy, you'll get whatever card you can afford and then have to somehow connect up an external gpu, what a lot of trouble.This looks like a little step above a $500 laptop for double no thanks.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Gumwars

Reputations:
    I agree that it is priced over market for comparable cost, superior laptops, but how do we move towards something like this without sending a signal to the bigger companies that this is something we want? Last time I checked, our wallets are about the best tool we have to move sentiment one way or the other. This laptop is progress towards sustainable systems that are not equivalent to desktops, but at least a better parallel to them.

hertzian56 likes this.
  8. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Agreed no argument.

Vasudev and Gumwars like this.
  9. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    My only gripe is that there seems to be no mention of Thunderbolt. So no Thunderbolt Docks or eGpu. Seems like a really big misstep for a nearly perfect idea.

Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  10. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Yeah they say that modular ports are coming but there's no mention or option for that right now. TB would hopefully be an option but man for the price that should be included imo. I think it says usb4 included but that's it, pretty vague to be ordering it. Have to see what the reviews say to get full info I guess.

Edit: here's what pcmag says it has in the box. They need to work on their website to have that info.

"The port modules in the box include two USB-C connections, one USB-A connection, HDMI and DisplayPort modules, and a microSD card module. They come in small cardboard boxes that fit into slots in the shipping box."

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/framework-laptop

etern4l likes this.