Framework Laptop

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Nick, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Nick

Nick Professor Carnista

Reputations:
    Anyone preorder one of these?

https://frame.work/

[​IMG]
    Processor Options
    i5-1135G7 (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)
    i7-1165G7 (12M Cache, up to 4.70 GHz)
    i7-1185G7 (12M Cache, up to 4.80 GHz)

[​IMG]
    Operating System
    None (bring your own)

Windows 10 Home (Download)

Windows 10 Pro (Download)

[​IMG]
    Storage Options¹
    None (bring your own)

WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™ SSD 250GB

WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™ SSD 500GB

WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™ SSD 1TB

WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™ SSD 2TB

WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™ SSD 4TB

WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™ SSD 500GB

WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™ SSD 1TB

WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™ SSD 500GB

WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™ SSD 2TB

[​IMG]
    Memory Options
    None (bring your own)

1x 8GB DDR4-3200

2x 8GB DDR4-3200

1x 16GB DDR4-3200

2x 16GB DDR4-3200

1x 32GB DDR4-3200

2x 32GB DDR4-3200

[​IMG]
    Connectivity
    None (bring your own)

Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®

Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 vPro®

[​IMG]
    Power Adapter
    None (bring your own)

60W USB-C

[​IMG]
    Display
    13.5” 3:2

2256x1504, 100% sRGB color gamut, and >400 nit

[​IMG]
    Battery
    55Wh

[​IMG]
    Graphics
    Iris Xe Graphics

[​IMG]
    Camera
    1080p 60fps

[​IMG]
    Ports
    4x User-selectable Expansion Cards

3.5mm combo headphone jack

[​IMG]
    Biometrics
    Fingerprint Reader

[​IMG]
    Keyboard
    Backlit

[​IMG]
    Warranty
    1 Year Framework Limited Warranty

[​IMG]
    Weight & Dimensions
    1.3kg

15.85mm x 296.63mm x 228.98mm

2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This seems like a good thing but in reality it really isn't, it's not really modular other than in token ways. For the price for a 13" non gaming laptop I can't see it being better than a locked in typical non-gaming laptop that's cheaper. For instance you can't ONLY upgrade the cpu, you have to buy a whole main board and deal with all that surgery/cost, basic non-gaming gpu is locked in. I get that they have replacing things easily in mind that's great but in terms of what you get from this fledgling company it's not that good. IF they decide to offer upgrades years later or are even around. For the 750$ base(no memory/no OS, no nvme,no wifi card,) they want you can get an older used full bird gaming laptop w memory/better cpu/wifi/windows etc etc etc or with only a wifi card and 16gb memory that'll cost you $1060 from their website. Add in the 139$ windows, which is included in the vast majority of laptops, and you've got almost 1200$ 13" non gaming laptop with a quad core cpu, which is all they offer in all cases. Gimmicky as he#.

etern4l likes this.
  3. jeffreyC

jeffreyC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is one thing that they have which no other laptop on the market seems to have:
    When the battery is charged and the laptop is plugged in to AC power, which is how most people use them much of the time, the battery is cut out of the circuit, not being charged to an early death.

4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not sure that's true at all. Moreover, the more recent Alienware laptops have a setting to only charge the battery up to 80%, which is the optimal level from the longevity standpoint.

5. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah I think I've seen this on Lenovo, HP and my current MSI has it as well. I keep mine at 50-60.

etern4l likes this.
  6. jeffreyC

Reputations:
    Asus has something similar of some newer models, but it is software dependent on Windows not part of the hardware.

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's fine in practice unless you want to use Linux.

The AW solution works at the BIOS level, so should be compatible with Linux too.

8. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Yeah haven' t checked the BIOS to see if mine has those battery options since I've been training it lately, it's just a tongfang so I assume it would.

As an update on their site you CAN get a non-"DIY" version that just has all the standard stuff and windows, but it's $1000 for a those specs and that just doesn't compete with a low end 3060 gaming laptop, wouldn't make sense in perf or price. I'm not trying to beat up this new company at all but it's just not what people want in fully modular systems at all, even not their fault as intel probably doesn't offer socketed laptop cpus anymore and of course they killed off mxm for the most part. So if the cpu or gpu fails you have pretty much just throw away junk when you look at what newer laptop mobos cost used it's not worth it. I miss those days when it was really modular. I hang onto my s5 for that reason, if the battery fails just replace it, not junk the whole thing or get some costly warranty or expert repairs. Examples of corporate dictatorial tyranny in the name of control and greed increasing over time.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  9. jeffreyC

Reputations:
    Not included, the reduced price they pay which they get for installing it on all the laptops they produce is buried in the non itemized overall cost.
    That is the retail price.
    Framework is not charging people for a license they will never use, so they do not get it cheap.

10. hertzian56

Reputations:
    What? of course it's included when you buy almost any computer. I never said it was free, but most of the time they don't give a choice or break it down as to how much you paid for windows like this company did. And it ain't $139 either, if you get a used computer with it on there, it's even less part of your overall cost. And of course framework doesn't get the much lower price, they're small and actually give you a choice as to byo or not, so no discount. I guess I assumed anyone here would know these things implicitly when I said that.:cool: