Found an Ideapad 720 15" (not Yoga or Legion)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by franzerich, Sep 25, 2017.

1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Erm, are you looking at the same devices as I am or just trying to justify the IdeaPad? Cause you're wrong.

The UX550 has a BIOS limit on the CPU-side that limits clockspeed to base after it reaches 85*C. An undervolt largely mitigates that and the goal behind that is to achieve lower fan noise. It's not perfect, by no means, but the GPU does not throttle and games (according to NBC) are not affected and CPU-only tasks do not trigger it.

As for the Acer Spin models - both have an aluminium unibody and feel both premium and durable.

The GS43 is louder because the GPU is a LOT more powerful than the 1050TiMQ.

The 720s has its own problems as with any laptop - it runs hot and somewhat loud, the battery life is pretty poor and the screen is nothing to write home about - average IPS panel like the one on the Spin models.

2. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not trying to justify anything just going by memory from ultrabookreview a couple months back, maybe I was a bit harsh saying it was a “throttling mess” but remember reading it struggled to maintain consistent CPU speeds in some games and it cost more.
    Did consider the Acer before finding out what a dim screen it has.
    Not looking for a gaming powerhouse just a good balance for a little of everything ;)
    I’ve already have a 17” laptop with GTX 1070 so gaming isn’t a priority just something a bit more portable and smaller that can also game when I get the urge without breaking the bank.
    Like I said no laptop is perfect but this one looks pretty decent.

3. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Personally, I'd look at an MX150 since those ultrabooks tend to offer a lot better battery life and acoustics/thermals. The 720s is fine but I'd argue the ZenBook is a better option if you want a good screen + battery life.

4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If I can get the ASUS for around the same price on the Lenovo ($ 1200) I would consider but the only models I've seen cost $300-$400 more, I really appreciate the input.

5. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    EDIT: Nevermind, that's the UK >.<

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
  7. WaffleBoy

WaffleBoy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What do you think about the gs63vr? I can't decide if I should go for the 720s (7700 + 1050 ti) or gs63vr (7700 + 1060)

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    It's a little warm and the chassis is somewhat delicate due to the thinness but it's a very powerful device with solid electrical design. Just don't expect more than 3 hours of battery life from it.

9. bobpuls

bobpuls Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i` got the i5 8250u Rx 560 version ... and i`m fully satisfied ... all games goes perfect on high settings , batery holds is about 5.5 hours on normal wifi usage and 75% brightness.
    I do not like the metalic design of the keybord case ..... (btw botom part is plastic , only top is metal ) is to sharp on edges ...keybord is ok .
    Display is ok but not perfect (bleeding thru edges and black is not perfect enough but it is usable enough after calibration).
    Any questions ?

10. Varuvaruvaru

Varuvaruvaru Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you sure that the bottom lid is made of plastic?
    Most of reviews say that 720-15 has all-metal build, aside the bezels around the screen everything else is supposed to be aluminum.

520, on the other hand, has plastic bottom cover but all else is supposed to be just like on 720.